EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Cypress » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:44 am

illusion wrote:

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov

It's nice to know that people from other countries are familiar with Russian literature :wink:
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby Cypress » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 am

LennyeTran wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.

Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:58 am

Cypress wrote:Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.

Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Cypress » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:41 am

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?

I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more
Cypress
Gold Member

life oh life...

Postby hereiam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:09 am

you are talking about your favourite books while in the meantime...Mr Collins proposed to Elisabeth and wasn't specially discouraged with her decline. On the contrary he found it her momentary lack of reason. What a story! She refused and her mother wanted to throw her out of house cause she didn't want to pay for her any longer! Well... what an affair! Imagine what talks were being done in local... shrubberies. Elisabeth Bennet refused to Collins and Mr Bingley left for London - for 6 months probably! Only God knows what can happen in the meantime. Sisters didn't tell their mother about whole letter Jane had received. Wise sisters or not? Who can know it.
Read "Pride and Prejudice" - a fact literature:)
hereiam
Gold Member

Postby Ksju » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:

Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…
Ksju
Silver Member

Postby Cypress » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:53 am

Ksju wrote:

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…

So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:11 am

Cypress wrote:
I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more

Textbook? What book is that? I'm curious.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Ksju » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:06 am

Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote:

So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.

:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.

Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)
Ksju
Silver Member

Postby Tora » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:57 am

Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote:

:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.

Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)

Well. Miss Prosecutor! :wink: The language is not so poor as you want it to be, english version is just amazing, i must say russian translation is poor! that's a big difference!

And about good-bad litarature... every one considers it from his own point of view... Sure there is no need to talk about Dostoevski, wether he is talented or not... it goes without saying!
talking about modern literature (excluding beloved russian detectives of course...) not every new releasing books is worth paying attention on it, but Dan Brown is among those writers that i would like to read (if i have a spare evening :wink: ). I don't care if he has stolen the plot! the book i read by him i liked... and nothing more...

by the way... here is another one crazy-on-Jan-Reno... :!: :roll: :wink:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors