lets discuss Russian literature

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

hi
i do not know how to thank u about this wonderful topic :) ,i like russian literature so much,and i read almost of the novel that u menthion before of course not in russion but in mother tonuge language :o

thank u agine

cheeeeeeers
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: lets discuss Russian literature

Post by Tora »

Silvio, I'm impressed! Your words are very sincere as I feel. I have always thought that enjoying poetry is only available in it's original language. This is what I have discovered reading Robert Burns, the music of the words rarely can be saved if translated. And actually I suppose poetry is something for "internal use", I mean it loses half of it's admiration when it's not the author's masterpiece but a translator one's.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: lets discuss Russian literature

Post by Cypress »

Silvio wrote:One thing I'd be interested in knowing from anyone who has
read these writers and poets in Russian, how do the translations of them compare.
I’ve read Dostoevsky’s “Crime and Punishment” both in Russian and English. I can say that it was much easier to read it in English. In his writing, Dostoevsky often used very long complicated sentences. Such long sentences are not common in English, so the translator often broke long sentences into few shorter ones, which made it easier to read. Also, in English translation Dostoevsky’s gloomy and depressing style is not as vivid as in the original.