EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

a corner for reading

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

let's discuss some books, please:)

Postby hereiam » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:40 pm

hello:)
my name is hereiam. I am very bored lately. I am so bored with life that I started to read "Pride and Prejudice". My dream is to read "Pickwick Papers" but I cannot find this book. I forgot totally where I hid it:(((.
Well... I have tried to read at least ONE of Jane Austin's books 100 times but they have always seemed to me sooooooo boooooooring that I couldn't get over 1 chapter at least!:(((
Today I have managed to read first chapter.
I think it is a big achievement of mine!
Language is a bit old-fashioned and Mr Bingley still hasn't appeared but somehow today it seemed to me more interesting that I found it some years ago... interesting why?
Jane Austin fans go into light please!:)
hereiam
Gold Member

Re: let's discuss some books, please:)

Postby Dixie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:38 pm

hereiam wrote:Well... I have tried to read at least ONE of Jane Austin's books 100 times but they have always seemed to me sooooooo boooooooring that I couldn't get over 1 chapter at least!:(((

That's exactly what happened to me with Pride and Prejudice! I could read only a few chapters, but I found it sooo dull that I didn't want to force myself to read it.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Tora » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:29 pm

You guys have changed my mind totally!
i was told only good things about Jane Austen and her books, 'classical english romance' and 'touching literature'... But now passing through book shelves in a book-shop when i see Jane Austen i say to myself No way... and run away quickly! :lol: :lol:

Of course i'd better find it out by myself... but why should i waste my time tasting something dull.. hmm... :roll:

i used to know a booooring lady, she adored Austen... so see the connection? :roll: :lol: (i'm not polite tonight...)
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:02 pm

Well, Tora, actually, I want to give Jane Austen another chance. I will re-start Pride and Prejudice and give it another try, because I always think that if this novel is such a classic and one of the most popular novels in English literature, it must be worth it. I think that finding it boring was only my fault. I should have read it with the passion it deserves, and I surely didn't.
Dixie

Postby Tora » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Dixie wrote:Well, Tora, actually, I want to give Jane Austen another chance. I will re-start Pride and Prejudice and give it another try, because I always think that if this novel is such a classic and one of the most popular novels in English literature, it must be worth it. I think that finding it boring was only my fault. I should have read it with the passion it deserves, and I surely didn't.

Good luck, Dixie!
I hope one day you'll manage it and will determine your judgement! :wink:
i'm still too far from that idea... :roll: :oops:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Re: let's discuss some books, please:)

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:11 am

hereiam wrote:hello:)
my name is hereiam. I am very bored lately. I am so bored with life that I started to read "Pride and Prejudice"

I didn't know you could be so darn funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

hello people:)

Postby hereiam » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:11 am

I am HERE;) again...
well... you can believe or no - I have managed to read ...10 chapters of "Pride and Prejudice" since Saturday!
Dixy - can you beat me?;) Not a single word about others.
You know - I like this book very much. It is even funny from time to time. Now I am in the place where Elisabeth stood up to stretch her bones after 5 hours of sitting and talking about nothing. Her sister Jane is still ill.
Darcy has already liked Elisabeth's eyes but ...you know what he told about her at first ball that she wasnot pretty enough to tempt him and worthu enough to dance with him. What a rude guy!:( We could say an elephant in a porcelain shop. Poor Elisabeth - why did she laugh at it at first? Darcy is hopeless by that moment but remember his annual income is 10 thousand a year, while Bingley has an income of 5 thousand a year and do you remember what was an income of Mr. Bennet (the father of 5 daughters) - only 2 thousand a year. Awful:(((.
Besides I didn't like he was calling his daughters "idiots" or something like that (excluding Elisabeth whom he liked).
Poor Elisabeth - she must put up with these all awful people who do nothing but gossiping:( Times haven't changed at all here and there:(
Well...noone promised us a paradise on this earth...
Read you soon:)
hereiam
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:41 am

Wow Hereiam you're deeply into the book! ;)

Well done!
Dixie

hello Dixie!:)

Postby hereiam » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:39 am

sad piece of news today..:(
I have made no progress since yesterday. Almost no progress.
But Jane has recovered hurried by her younger sister Elisabeth and they came back home (I don't remember if the coach was Bingley's or their own). Anyway, they mother was very unhappy seeing them cause she wanted them to stay at Bingely till Tuesday (that would give one week of time of their being there). But they came back on Sunday mostly because Elisabeth didn't want to trouble their neighbours any longer.
Poor Elisabeth!:(
Well.. Darcy is still awful. A total snob we would say today. All his comments and demands... I am really astonished remembering that finally he married Elisabeth...
PS. I love my boring life. Really.
To be continued...:)
hereiam
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:34 am

Hereiam please don't tell the story, I still want to read the book :D
Dixie

Next

Return to Books & Authors