EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Khaled Hosseini

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm

LennyeTran wrote:What part are you on right now? Are you done with it yet?

Amir is back home looking for Hassan's son!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:56 pm

So you're almost done, then. How did you feel when you knew about the truth of Haasan's family background?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm

LennyeTran wrote:So you're almost done, then. How did you feel when you knew about the truth of Haasan's family background?

My first thought was: "Typical!" :lol: :lol:

I always feel sorry for Hassan. Always a servant, loyal to his master, too loyal. I was angry at Amir for being so spoiled and coward, for not helping Hassan when he was being raped and so on.

Now Amir is back at his old house, taking a walk through it and remembering his childhood.

Can't wait to finish!!!
Last edited by Dixie on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.

And yeah, it's typical but I didn't really figure it out at first. I was kinda angry to see the way Baba was treating Amir (I'm a middle child. It's the middle-child thing, always trying to get the attention from parents since they don't have much, you know). I felt like he was like my mom, especially when Amir gave him his story and he took it with no interest. When I learned the truth, I finally understood why he was acting the way he did. I was kinda angry that at the end of his life he still didn't confess to Amir. He owed him that.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Dixie wrote: for not helping Hassan when he was being raped and so on.

The raping was kinda strange, right? I mean, homosexual act is a sin in their religion. This guy is the one who followed the Taliban later to punish any Muslim who they thought didn't follow the Sharia laws, yet he did this? What a hypocrite! :x
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:38 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.

I think Hassan did know Amir saw everything. I was very angry at him for never telling anyone! And when I reached the part when Amir is told Hassan was murdered I was about to cry!!!! I kept the hope they would meet again eventually.

I don't know if Assef appears later on in the story. What a fashijasfdaksfdahohdsafasd!!!!!! Yes, you're right. And also, I think the nazis were against homosexuality. Then why did he do that? I don't get it.
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 pm

Dixie wrote:
I would love to hear him narrating his book!

I'd love to send you the audio clips; however, you must have the library account from my city to get the book's copyright license before you can listen to it. The audiobook is usually expired after 20 days, and you can renew it only once. After that, the audio file is unusable, for it's made with digital rights management protection. This way they can prevent books from being downloaded free online without the authors's approval. Nevertheless, I can show you the link of his website. You can listen to his voice in one clip he's doing his humanitarian work. It's the same voice anyway. :wink:

http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hosseini-learn.html
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.

I think Hassan did know Amir saw everything. I was very angry at him for never telling anyone!

I think I have to reread the book again for those hints since I'd prefer Haasan not to know Amir's presence at that time. It's devastating to see your best friend failed you on the loyalty moment, ya know. And people like Haasan, they place loyalty above all since this is all they have in them to be proud of. This would be a deeper scar for him than being raped by that frigging heartless monster who is a big hypocrite. Gosh, I hate people like him who think violence is the only answer. I just feel like beating him in the head with a baton... (oooopssie, no violence!) :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 pm

I'm downloading his audiobook A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'll probably finish the clip by the end of this weekend.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:12 pm

I knew it!! I knew Assef was the Taliban!

I'm reading the book at the moment :lol:

Thanks for the link, Len!

I'm sure you'll like A Thousand Splendid Suns, although I think I prefer The Kite Runner so far!
Dixie

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors