EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Newsweek's hottest 100 books

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Newsweek's hottest 100 books

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Have you seen that?
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy first most important book on Newseek's list.
I hope voters read more than the....title. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsweek's Top 100

LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Newsweek's hottest 100 books

Postby illusion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:53 pm

wow, this list is pretty amazing. I read some of these books for my english novel classes, but this is really helpful. Now I finally know what books are worth reading, cos I always waste my time on some bad lit.
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby LadyMacbeth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:10 am

Hi here.

To me this list is highly...pitiful. 4 first books - OMG one politics. Number 3 - Ulysses. Who is able to read it? Who cares?

And number one - specially these days should be changed into CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Dostojewski. War and peace... should be number 2 these days. My opinion. Ulysses number 15. However still I doubt if CRIME AND PUNISHMENT should be really first on ANY hit list. :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Just to inform.

LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby LadyMacbeth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 am

ps. BESIDES can Lolita be really number 4? Well... if Ulysses is number 3 so why not Lolita number 4... however...

LM

PS1. I would like to ask where is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO?
PS2. And what about biographies? For example HITLER AND STALIN - UNKNOWN FACTS - shouldn't it be number one? Any HITLER AND STALIN biography... not necessarily UNKNOWN FACTS. Just the best already KNOWN biography of these two.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:24 am

Ladies {-; As illusion said all those lists are made for making your own desicion and may come in handy, as I sometimes need an advise - I'm so greedy of my spare-time if I waste in on pulp I feel robbed.
and to add more - 3 medalists are always discussed and named undeservingly successful, as far as I remember I read War and Peace at school and found the plot gripping but Natasha stupid :roll: Anyhow I don't feel I'd like to plunge into it again, not now, so with Fedor D.
Truly, I find Doctor Zhivago even more boring than Ulysses, no wonder the novel is Nobel winning, who can read Nobel prize winners :~: while Pasternak's poetry I adore
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby illusion » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:Hi here.

To me this list is highly...pitiful. 4 first books - OMG one politics. Number 3 - Ulysses. Who is able to read it? Who cares?

LM

well, I had 'Ulysses' in my English Novel classes, but only some excerpts. And I learned that because of its innovative form it is a very valuable reading ;>
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:Have you seen that?
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy first most important book on Newseek's list.
I hope voters read more than the....title. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsweek's Top 100

LM

Have you ever considered the fact they are still the most read and greatest books on this planet Earth? I mean, seriously, just stop someone on the street and ask them if they know, for example, War and Peace, the title in their own language? I bet your ass they highly would know. Even I who don't read books for pleasure know most of those books on the list. They're on the must-read books list in either high school or college.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:ps. BESIDES can Lolita be really number 4? Well... if Ulysses is number 3 so why not Lolita number 4... however...

LM

PS1. I would like to ask where is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO?
PS2. And what about biographies? For example HITLER AND STALIN - UNKNOWN FACTS - shouldn't it be number one? Any HITLER AND STALIN biography... not necessarily UNKNOWN FACTS. Just the best already KNOWN biography of these two.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,
LM

Hell yeah, Lolita can be number four while I don't think the positional number on the list would make a difference in preference. It's like whatever comes in your mind first and you'll name it number one and so forth. I mean, I like Lolita and Gone With the Wind equally, but who would, in their right mind, choose Lolita over Gone With the Wind? Seriously! Who would?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Return to Books & Authors