6 words by Ernest Hemingway (very short short story)

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Rose

6 words by Ernest Hemingway (very short short story)

Post by Rose »

I have read this story recently and i liked it very much then i looked for the analysis of it and i liked to share with you to see how much the pure fiction of the literary is very simple ,nice and meaningful.
This story it is a type of story that has a limited number of words and it has
a traditional begining - middle - end story.

Hemingway was sitting with his friends writers at round tables at a resturant( i think )and they had a bet of 10$ each if they could write a short story about six words so he quickly wrote six words on a napkin and passed it around,
and the words are " For sale, Baby shoes, never worn"and he won the bet...
so let's analyze the simple story to taste the nice meaning of the pure fiction literary.
He used "for sale' as a symbol for 'ad'
of selling the house, sometimes people sell what they have when they want to move or run away from a bad memory so maybe there was a family wanted to sell thier house to move away from sad event that happened for them after thier baby died , here Hemingway used a baby shoes as a symbole for happiness when the mother started to prepare for her new baby as well for sure she felt very active and happy for that and the shoes here are also means growing up for this baby but when Hemingway used 'never worn' here something bad happened for this baby so he couldn't wear these shoes and here also its a symbole for death and sadness additionally suffering from losing the baby beside that collapse thier beautiful dreams
and hope .
Finaly can you imagine how these six words have a nice meaning and pure fiction.
It isn't necessary to read or write a long story to enjoy or to get the aim the point is to express your honest feelings and thoughts even through a few words
I hope that you enjoyed of it as i did.
Rose
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: 6 words by Ernest Hemingway (very short short story)

Post by sweethuman »

Good. thanks for sharing 8-)
Yolochka

Re: 6 words by Ernest Hemingway (very short short story)

Post by Yolochka »

I've already read this story. I'm impressed. I've read, that Hemingway promised to write a story in 6 words, from which all the world would cry.
I think, he made it.
Thanks, Rose, for your own opinion. I'm fully agree, that "It isn't necessary to read or write a long story..."