EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Masculine or Feminine?

Games, contests and jokes. Have fun!

Moderators: Vega, EC

Masculine or Feminine?

Postby Shazzam » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:43 pm

A spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. "House," for instance, is feminine: "la casa." "Pencil," however, is masculine: "el lapiz."

A student asked, "What gender is "computer?"

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that "computer" should definately be of the feminine gender ("la computadora") because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest of mistakes are stored in a long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

The woman's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ("el computador") because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Butler if you read this (which I'm sure you will) your puzzle; you know which one, DREAMT. :lol: :lol:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:09 am

Hahahaha that was funny!!!

And, for your amusement, in Spanish, computer is a masculine noun: el ordenador :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Hardi » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:30 am

Disaster! Computer accessories shellers goes now to bankrupt. I'm not a gay :x and most of mens aren't.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:01 am

violet wrote:Hahahaha this one is veeeeeery funny! :D :D :D
Did you create this joke, shazzam? very creative! :D

No violet, I'm not that funny or smart for that matter. A friend sent it to me through the e-mail. I just thought it was funny and decided to post it on the forum. I think everyone can relate to at least one of the answer. :lol: :lol:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Masculine or Feminine?

Postby sweethuman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:26 am

:lol: :lol:
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Return to Entertainment