EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Living in the past

Films & cinema, music & songs--past & present.

Moderator: Vega

Living in the past

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 pm

Hi there everybody,
I'm an old cockroach who has been hybernated for long-long years in the belly of a dark smoky office gnawing through dusty documents from the past.
I am very curious wheteher there is anyone among the members who likes the bands of the long gone ages.
How far can I go back? Ten years, twenty years or more?
A well known critic once said the vintage age of rock music lasted from 1965 to 1980. More or less he was right. By the middle of the '80s the giants had been extinct, but I doubt that since then there has not been any good band or singer. What's more, new generations definetely bring new blood into the veins of rock.
I am listing randomly some bands, and I'm waiting for opinions about them.
Led Zeppelin, Spooky Tooth, Undertones, Corrs, Nickelback, Staind, Cream, Deep Purple, Cure, Busted, R.E.M and so on
With love
Scarecrow
Scarecrow

Postby Dixie » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:39 am

Interesting article. I like some of the groups you mentioned: The Corrs, Nickelback, and REM.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

LIVING IN THE PAST

Postby Elba » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:59 am

SCARECROW,

I´m so happy you wrrite in here. You know I have a friend at Fehergyarmat, his name is Zoltan, maybe in two years I could visit him.
About your messages, let me tell you that for much years I "forgot" to listen the radio, but in the last year I began to know new groups and they are really good.
Have you ever heard something of U2, Guns and Roses, the first is excelent. About: Led Zeppelin, Cream, Deep Purple, Cure, :R: :R: :R:
But what about Chicago, Yes, Who, Queen?
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Living in the past

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:50 am

Dear Elba Rose,
Thanks for your message.
It's good to know that you have heard about Hungary and you have got a friend too from here. Fehergyarmat is about 250 km from the place where I live. I have never been there. It is near the Romanian border.
I pick out the Who from among the four bands. They are my all time favourites besides others. This group played everything from the soft ballads (Behind blue eyes) to the most dynamic, anger spewing songs like "We won't get fooled again". I got two compilation CD's from my friend for my birthday. The contain all the best songs of Who. The first one starts with the early songs like "Can't explain" and "My generation" and the second one from the more mature period and songs from the rock opera Tommy. What is your favourite from "Who"?
Be good
Scarecrow
Scarecrow

Return to Music & Movies