EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reality TV Shows

Films & cinema, music & songs--past & present.

Moderator: Vega

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Dixie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:27 pm

Nefrit wrote:[b]Which reality TV shows do you LIKE to watch? you know..shows like survivor, big brothers, and so on.



Please don't get me started on what I call rubbish TV.
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby MissLT » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:11 pm

Dixie wrote:
Nefrit wrote:[b]Which reality TV shows do you LIKE to watch? you know..shows like survivor, big brothers, and so on.



Please don't get me started on what I call rubbish TV.

But... but...but...but this is what I love about TV. I watch everything on TV, but reality TV shows is the only thing keep me around the TV longer. Without it, TV is just... TV. It doesn't live up to its name: the idiot box. :twisted:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Dixie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
But... but...but...but this is what I love about TV. I watch everything on TV, but reality TV shows is the only thing keep me around the TV longer. Without it, TV is just... TV. It doesn't live up to its name: the idiot box. :twisted:


... Like I was saying, don't get me started on rubbish TV, and the people who watch it :twisted: :lol:
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby MissLT » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:03 pm

:twisted: Please, do! I don't like watching survivors, but I sure love Project Runway and Dancing with the stars. Reality shows about chefs also catch my interest.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Dixie » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 pm

LennyeTran wrote::twisted: Please, do! I don't like watching survivors, but I sure love Project Runway and Dancing with the stars. Reality shows about chefs also catch my interest.


Project Runway? Dancing with the stars? I have never heard of those. Or course I know rubbish/garbage TV is all there is on TV in the States :roll: When I was in Long Island (2001), I remember my host family used to watch a show about paranormal facts, pretty sad and boring. Everything was clearly fake :twisted:
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Hardi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:40 pm

Dancing with the stars I know my mom liked to watch it. The local one of course. But you know this is why I don't like them. They are so global. There is a copy for every country of some. Same like that TV. game who want to become millionaire. Now image I have various satellite's TV. Channels from various countries. And then All i can see is Who want to become millionaire Estonian version Who want to become millionaire Germans version then Russian version and so on. Well I know that's bad example because that's not called Reality show, but.. that's the only one what's name I remember that did come from so many different channels.. They are every where almost same only people/country/language is different. My god why they don't do something original.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: European Union
Status: Other

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:05 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote::twisted: Please, do! I don't like watching survivors, but I sure love Project Runway and Dancing with the stars. Reality shows about chefs also catch my interest.


Project Runway? Dancing with the stars? I have never heard of those.

Project Runway is a reality TV show that has a bunch of designers who live together and compete for the prizes. They have to design clothes with the time limit and will be evaluated their designs by fashion well-known people and Heidi Klum. I watch the show because of her and I like the designers and their designs. I love watching fashion shows, that's why.

Dancing with the stars is about professional dancers pair up with celebrities to compete for the title. It's similar like American Idol to me. I was checking out the page for dancing with the stars and it shows that Spain doesn't have this version while other European countries have it. It's quite strange to me why Spanish are not interested in this show.

Dixie wrote:Or course I know rubbish/garbage TV is all there is on TV in the States :roll: When I was in Long Island (2001), I remember my host family used to watch a show about paranormal facts, pretty sad and boring. Everything was clearly fake :twisted:

You could say that since I don't remember how many reality TV shows I've seen since the day I came to the States. I just love them; the more ridiculous the show is, the longer I'll be around the TV to watch it. I love famewhores who are desperate to get their 15 minutes of fame on national television by making a fool of themselves. Seeing it is almost as good as sex. :twisted:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Hardi wrote:Dancing with the stars I know my mom liked to watch it. The local one of course. But you know this is why I don't like them. They are so global. There is a copy for every country of some. Same like that TV. game who want to become millionaire. Now image I have various satellite's TV. Channels from various countries. And then All i can see is Who want to become millionaire Estonian version Who want to become millionaire Germans version then Russian version and so on. Well I know that's bad example because that's not called Reality show, but.. that's the only one what's name I remember that did come from so many different channels.. They are every where almost same only people/country/language is different. My god why they don't do something original.

Yeah, a lot of popular shows are like that. My favorite reality TV show ANTM is coped almost everywhere. Same with American Idol. They copy each other because they only have to pay for the copyrights of the idea, then they'll get the share of the wealth. It's easier than thinking of something on their own, which might not turn out good anyway.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Rui » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:59 pm

well, for me the big problem about the reality shows is that they have an incredible power to make up peoples minds towards problems related with the program rather than with their own lives, at least it was that way here in portugal, special with big brother, my god i remember to go to a disco on a new years eve and the program was about to finish at midnight of that day, after midnight everybody was concerned to know who had won than to wish a happy new year to the friends around, however that was only the beginning because right now they are loosing some audience, for me makes completely no sense to seat in front of a tv watching other people live, sorry... i don’t have patience for that :mrgreen:
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Re: Reality TV Shows

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 am

Rui wrote:well, for me the big problem about the reality shows is that they have an incredible power to make up peoples minds towards problems related with the program rather than with their own lives, at least it was that way here in portugal, special with big brother, my god i remember to go to a disco on a new years eve and the program was about to finish at midnight of that day, after midnight everybody was concerned to know who had won than to wish a happy new year to the friends around, however that was only the beginning because right now they are loosing some audience, for me makes completely no sense to seat in front of a tv watching other people live, sorry... i don’t have patience for that :mrgreen:


At least someone that shares my opinion! :mrgreen: It's really pathetic, really. It's losing audience here, too, but it's been on TV for almost 8 years! I think it started in 2000. It's so lame...
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Next

Return to Music & Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests