EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Eurovision Song Contest | Belgrade 2008

Films & cinema, music & songs--past & present.

Moderator: Vega

Eurovision Song Contest | Belgrade 2008

Postby Vega » Wed May 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Yesterday I watched Eurovision's first semi-final.

There were 19 participants in the first semi-final. Ten of them got chance to continue on the next finals. The second semi-final in May 22 (tomorrow).

:arrow: Did anyone watch? Which country's song did you like and voted for? And which country's song you didn't like?

I like songs performed by Israel, Ireland. I didn't like Estonia's song, they looked stupid.

Related links:
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home http://www.eurovision.tv/page/first-semi-final-2008
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Re: Eurovision Song Contest | Belgrade 2008

Postby Dixie » Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Xkalibur wrote:Y

I didn't like Estonia's song, they looked stupid.

Wait until you hear Spain's song! I hate it! I hate the history behind it. I hate the fact that ALL the kids know it by heart and sing it and dance it every single day! Argh!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Vega » Fri May 23, 2008 1:36 am

Dixie wrote:Wait until you hear Spain's song! I hate it! I hate the history behind it. I hate the fact that ALL the kids know it by heart and sing it and dance it every single day! Argh!

Ah, I missed to watch it yesterday... :-?
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Dixie » Sat May 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Xkalibur wrote:

I wanted to give you a link but I felt ashamed of that as well. If you are curious, just go to Youtube and type "chiki chiki" or "chiquiliquatre".
Dixie

Postby Tora » Sat May 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Dixie wrote:
Xkalibur wrote:

I wanted to give you a link but I felt ashamed of that as well. If you are curious, just go to Youtube and type "chiki chiki" or "chiquiliquatre".

I heard an extract of it on BBC yesterday, rather whacky one like the contest itself.
We are so sure of our victory, this gonna be hilarious to see Bilan left out of the winners again. His show includes ice-skating and violin live played. Why do we take it so serious?
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 pm

I just came back from the movies (Indiana Jones). Who won?
Dixie

Postby Vega » Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Dixie wrote:I wanted to give you a link but I felt ashamed of that as well. If you are curious, just go to Youtube and type "chiki chiki" or "chiquiliquatre".

That was funny song, I liked it...me and my sister and my friend too were laughing a lot. :-D There's really no point to be ashamed of. It was a good show! {-;

Tora wrote:Why do we take it so serious?

Congratulations Tora! Russia has won.

Eh..we got 8th place (Azerbaijan). Not bad for the first time...But I didn't understand Germany, they gave us just 1 point while I could see German's host worn white wings. They were having us on. :roll:
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Cypress » Sun May 25, 2008 12:26 am

I watched it online. I think the show was great, but the points count was a real disappointment. With all my love for Russia, I think Dima Bilan didn’t deserve the first place. Oh common, who gave him most points: Ukraine, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Armenia, and Belorussia. The only non-post-Soviet countries who gave him 12 were Serbia and Israel. And with even more love for Ukraine, I think Any Lorak didn’t deserve the second place either. Oh well, life is not fair and we all know that.
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby Vega » Sun May 25, 2008 12:54 am

I wouldn't say Bilan's song was weak, but I really hated his accent, especially the way he were pronouncing "impossible" from the song. In the whole, it deserved I think. Positive songs always win..

The most stupid songs were:

Wolves of the Sea (Latvia), UK's song (it was something like in 80's , old-fashioned), Charlotte Perrelli's song (her eyes really made me scary..I switched the channel for awhile), Kraljevi ulice & 75 cent (I didn't like it, reminded me a show in a restaurant),

The most funny were: Spain (the best), France , Ireland.

From vocal view: Israel

I don't remember the rest ones...leave them for you. :-)
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Cypress » Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 am

Xkalibur wrote:I really hated his accent, especially the way he were pronouncing "impossible" from the song. In the whole, it deserved I think. Positive songs always win..

His accent was bad because it was a slow song; with fast songs accent is less noticeable, I think. His “impossible” sounded like “спа-сии-бааааааааа” to me
Cypress
Gold Member

Next

Return to Music & Movies