Please tell me some unique food people eat in your country.

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

maryemily

Post by maryemily »

"feijoada"....a very Brazilian food. Rice, black beans with a lot of sausage, bacon, and other kinds of meat, "caipirinha", an alcoholic drink wih lemon.....hummmmmm is great in cold days.
mehrin

Re: Please tell me some unique food people eat in your count

Post by mehrin »

nishi ryohei wrote:Japanese eat fermented beans. We call it "Nattou". I like it. Please tell me some unique food people eat in your country.

indian food every body can eat in you country Ryohei
silence

Post by silence »

in Belarus the national meal is considered potato pancakes... in the whole my country is considered potato country :)
nien

Post by nien »

Hi, I'm new here but got directly interested on this topic as I love to eat.
Hmm in Indonesia, we consist of various tribes and each of them has their own unique and particular food. I mean very very unique to the degree of you couldn't imagine that you could eat that kind of food.
As for "Nattou" in Japan, is it made from bean? I think it's similar with what I have here. It's made of soybean and called "tempe".
Love to hear anyone's feedback.
Ordina_Lavender

Post by Ordina_Lavender »

We have tempe in Malaysia too. They use to fry it or cook with chilli.
In Malaysia , we also have laksa, rojak , lemang and ketupat.
Jackie

Jackie (Food in Malaysia)

Post by Jackie »

Malaysia is a multiculture country which consists of 3 main groups. There are Malay, Chinese and Indian and other indigenous. In our coutries, each of our ethnic group has its distinct style of cooking. Below are the examples

Malay : Most of the food is spicy. You may try Nasi Lemak, Laksa, Keropok, Nasi Dagang, Sateh

Chinese: Bak Kuk Teh (most recommended), Hokkien Mee, or wantan mee

Indian: Roti canai, Nasi Kandar, Tandoori..

Other such as Nyonya food, also should have a try.

Culture in Malaysia is very rich and we can see a lot of food stalls, restaurant and coffee shops there. You may easily grab something that you like with low price. For the people who like to try different cuisine, i would recommend them to come to Malaysia. It definitely a pleasant trip. :lol:
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Hey guys,

Since this is the topic for unique food in different countries, so perhaps the description in words is not enough. Do you have the photos? Yeah it's not difficult to find ... let's "spice up" your writings with some pictorial illustration! ;)
Ordina_Lavender

Chinese Pau

Post by Ordina_Lavender »

Hello Jackie and all other friends,
I'm interested in Chinese Pau.The pink and the white.What flour they use to make them?
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I know one thing, what is really unique here. It's called "Kama" it's a flour like thing, what you mix with kefir or buttermilk.. add some salt or sugar to taste. The kama flour is a mixture of rough grain flour and peas....

btw. Kama is seasonal food. It's good(nutritious and refreshing) in hot summer day, but I think nobody don't like it in winter..
Yama

Post by Yama »

We eat dried fin of ray in Japan.It's very nice.
Do you eat ray?
me&myself

Post by me&myself »

hi!!i'm from valencia(spain).the most tipical dish in my city is: "paella":the ingredients are:rice(of course :P ) ,greenness,chiken and pilgrim.it's not my favourite dish,but here in spain is one of the most populars.
Xavi

Post by Xavi »

Hi Guys!!

I'm from Barcelona, and i love Paella , what can i say about paella, is my favourit dish and a flag of this country.

I know another typical spanish dish, the Gazpacho, this is a cold soup of tomato, cocoom, garlic,bread and red-pepper, everithing "sifted"?, is a perfect food for the summer nigth's.

But isn't a good choice if you hope kiss somebody ;)
me&myself

Post by me&myself »

Xavi wrote:Hi Guys!!

I'm from Barcelona, and i love Paella , what can i say about paella, is my favourit dish and a flag of this country.

I know another typical spanish dish, the Gazpacho, this is a cold soup of tomato, cocoom, garlic,bread and red-pepper, everithing "sifted"?, is a perfect food for the summer nigth's.

hahaha,you are rigth Xavi :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I love my mom's paella. Hate the Valencian one :D

Gazpacho is from southern Spain, mainly Andalucia, isn't it? I tried it once and didn't like it.
me&myself

Post by me&myself »

i don't like the paella of the restaurants,i only can eat my grandmoms paella,she cooks really well!!! :P
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

We eat a lot of blac/rye-bread here... I almost don't eat white bread, black bread is better.
me&myself

Post by me&myself »

Hardi wrote:We eat a lot of blac/rye-bread here... I almost don't eat white bread, black bread is better.
Really??i never taste black bread,i like bread,and i want taste it!!what are the ingredients?? :D kisses!!
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Really!! as far as I know, it's flour, water, and salt.. and of course starter... It's also sourdough bread. I think it's not so easy to make... Once my mother tryed to do it, but the result was almost not eatable... I think she had bad flour too. Anyway In old times it got almost one week to make it, but today they using some quick methods in factory... I'm also never tasted right home made black bread.. only factory one.
me&myself

Post by me&myself »

hahahaha!ok,thanks hardi!i'll try to make it one day,but i'm, sure that more than bread will be a stone!(it's right this sentence?i'm confuse!! :? hehehe.kisses!
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Well the traditional Aussie food is "a big meat pie and tomato sauce". Especially when eaten on a cold winters days at the footy (generally eaten with an ice cold beer). Aussie men love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

talking about unique foods..baLut is REALLY one-of-a-kind....

if you're adventurous enough when it comes to food, you could dare yourself to try this...

it's an egg containing a fully developed duck embryo which is just boiled and ready to eat off its shell. the soup and the
yolk from the duck egg is very tasty, , and the duck embryo is very yummy! it can be spiced up with salt, vinegar, and chili.

Eating it was even given as a challenge in one of the fear factor's episodes.. :)
When all else fails..don't stop.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

In the PHilippines we have a native delicacy called "balut". What it is, is a duck egg with a half-formed embryo. It is boiled and best eaten piping-hot with a pinch of salt. When cooked it feels heavier than your average hard-boiled chicken egg. You crack the pointy part softly on a hard surface and allow it to crack a bit. Then, gently peel a tiny portion, sprinkle some salt and suck out what can be called the 'embryonic fluid. Proceed to peel the egg in its entirety, eat the yellow part which is the yolk. Leave the best for last, the half-formed embryo still curled up on itself. Don't gulp it down, delicately chew so you can enjoy the soft crunching of bone and the sinfully tender morsel. Wash it down with a cold bottle of San Miguel beer. Allow it to settle contentedly in your stomach. You can purr like a cat if you like when your belly is full. Did you guys get hungry?
The eternal student. There is much to learn, discover and talk about.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

Hardi wrote:We eat a lot of blac/rye-bread here... I almost don't eat white bread, black bread is better.
I've tasted rye bread and I find it's smokey, herby taste absolutely delicious! I pair it with swiss cheese and top it with s dry, white wine! The best midnight fare!
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

You can chew on a bunch of mint leaves after that, can't you? One should keep a sprig of mint tucked in one's bag then, if one wants to enjoy gazpacho.
natsu0713

Post by natsu0713 »

In China and Taiwan (maybe other Asian countries too), we have "stinky tofu". Just like its name, "stinky tofu", it smells bad, rather stinky. However, the more stinky it is, the more delicious it is. Only for the people who likes to eat that or for the people who are eating that, they would not think it smells bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

Another unique food is "Thousand-year Egg". Like its name, it looks like an egg which has been not eaten for thousands of years. It looks all-black. It is said that people made "thousand-year Egg" by immersing it into horses' urine.... Rather disgusting? But it really tastes good.

http://www.vitasoy-usa.com/ethnic/sansui_silken.html
http://ask.yahoo.com/20011114.html
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Here, Mexico: MOLE, TEQUILA and TORTILLAS.
Mole: Chicken or turky in a red and hot Sauce. It is delicious but too much calories. At one regin of México there are five kinds of Mole: Black mole, green mole (my favorit), yellow mole, red mole and a little more red mole. In another astate is an ancient recipe of mole; it is with and is only for brides.

Tequila: all of you know tequila.

Tortillas: a circle and flat, very flat bread. We use tortillas in all foods.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

On the prairies (vast plains) here in Canada, they have a specialty called prairie oyster. You cannot find these oysters in the sea but rather on a cow. They are cow testicles. Yum!

Also, up north in the Yukon Territory, you can order a drink at a special pub called the Yukon Jack. You put a real human toe into a glass and fill it with Jack Daniels. In order to leave, you must gulp the entire drink and have the toe touch your lips. Mmmm...