egyption recipes

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

blossom

egyption recipes

Post by blossom »

Biram Ruz
1 cup(s) long grain rice.
1 cup(s) of whole milk (skim milk for the die conscious).
2 cup(s) of heavy cream.
2 tsp. of salt.
15 tblsp of butter.

Method

1.Heat the milk to scalding temperature.

2.Put the rice in the beram, pour the hot milk over it, stir in the salt and stick the beram in the oven at °400 for about 30-40 minutes

3.Just before all the milk is absorbed, make a little indentation in the center of the rice and drop the butter in it.

4.while the butter is melting take some of it and sprinkle on top of the rice.

5.Let it cook for 20-30 minutes more, until the rice is brown on top.
blossom

Post by blossom »

GHREYBA - (sweets-cookies)

Ingredience:

1 cup warm "samn" (veg. Oil or melted butter)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3-4 cups of flour
Instructions:

Mix "samn" and sugar well.
Add flour gradually and mix.
Shape into little balls and press down gently to flatten into shape.
Garnish with an almond.
Bake in a preheated oven at 400 ƒF (200 ƒC) for 10 to 15 minutes.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Kahk

Method:
Heat the samn balady until almost boiling.
Add the baking powder and the spices to the flour.
Carefully add the flour to the hot samn balady and stir with a wooden spoon.
Keep stirring and stirring and stirring.
When you get tired (honestly this is part of the recipe as given to me by my friend's mother in law, ... tired = your arms are ready to fall off) then you can stop stirring. Her recipe said not to use a wooden spoon but to knead the flour into the hot samna, but I do not do that part. I have not tried using a food processor.
When the mixture cools down a little, but is still warm, (ie you can knead it with your hands without causing permanent damage), add the instant yeast to the milk with a teaspoon of sugar, then stir gently into the dough.
Knead it for a short while, cover and let it rest. (Officially you should shape the kahk now and let it rest later).
After an hour or so you can start shapping the dough with your hands into little balls and then flatten them.
You can add nuts, agwa, or other filling when you are making it into balls.
Put them in a cookie tray and let them rest for a little.
Then put them in a preheated oven (345 F), and watch them. Usually 15 minutes is enough.
Take them out, wait until they cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before eating.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Koshaf

1 cup(s) dried prunes.
1 cup(s) dried Turkish apricots.
1 cup(s) dried small figs halved
1 1/2 cup(s) raisins.
1 cup(s) sugar (more if you like it sweet.)
2 1/2 cups of boiling water

Put all the fruits in a container, sprinkle the sugar on to of it and pour the water over it. Cover the container and let the khoshaf cool down and then refrigerate. Khoshaf is best when left overnight or for several hours before serving. Samiha Ragab
For a little variation on my friend Samiha's recipe:

Add a little bit of amar-el-deen in the boiling water. (Amar-el-deen should be liquidy).
Add hazel nuts, almonds and pine seeds (nuts should be slightly browned, either with a few drops of oil, or without).
blossom

Post by blossom »

Ros Bel Laban

Ros Bel Laban is a sweet dish that can be served as desert. In the Egyptian dialect “Ros” means rice and “Laban” means milk. The dish is easy to prepare and is very tasty. Ros Bel Laban is a traditional desert that has undergone very little modifications in preparation. It dates back to the time of historic Cairo.
Ingredients (serves Four)

2 ½ cups of short rice
1 liter milk
½ cup of sugar
1 table spoon of starch dissolved in ¼ cup of water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Method
Wash the rice thoroughly, then let it settle in water for about 15 minutes. Sieve the rice and place in a pot. Top the rice with water and place on a medium flame. Let the rice boil for five minutes. Do not let the water dry up. The rice is supposed to be soggy! Sieve the partially boiled rice again.

In a separate container add mix the sugar to the milk and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Add the sweetened milk to the rice and stir slowly for a minute. Place the mixture of rice milk and sugar on low flame and let it boil for 20 minutes.

Dissolve the starch in some water and add to boiling rice. Stir slowly until the mixture thickens.

Remove from heat. Let it cool for five minutes before you add the vanilla.

Pour into smaller bowls and chill in the fridge.

The above recipe is the original recipe for Ros Bel Laban. However, the toppings may vary. You can be creative. Try unsalted nuts, for example, pistachio and/or hazelnut. Shredded dried coconut will add a special taste to the desert. You can even carry the topping to a further extent and add ice cream as on top of the bowl of Ros. Trust me it will taste nice. Ros Bel Laban is a very high calorie sweet dish and is perfect for breakfast especially if the kids are going to spend a day playing sports.

“Bel hana wesh shefa” (eat and be happy with good health).
blossom

Post by blossom »

SAHLAB

It's very cold this year in Egypt, and to warm one's self, one of the most popular hot drinks is Sahlab. Sahlab is made from the starch found in the ground bulb of the orchid, Orchis mascula . The starch, which can be purchased in Egypt as a powdered mix, thickens the milk while giving it a unique flavor. However, it is more difficult to find Sahlab mix outside of the area. Here is a recipe to mimic Sahlab, using cornstarch as a thickener.

1 1/2 tablespoons Sahlab powder or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 cups milk
3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
2 teaspoons rose or orange-blossom water ( optional )
2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
Ground cinnamon
Mix the Sahlab powder or cornstarch with a few tablespoons of milk. Bring the remaining milk to a boil. Pour in the starch mixture, stirring vigorously, so that lumps do not form. Cook over very low heat, stirring continuously, until the milk thickens ( about 10 minutes). Then stir in the sugar and the rose water or orange blossom water, if you so desire.

Serve in cups with the chopped pistachios and cinnamon as garnish. You may also sprinkle grated coconut on top.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Kishk (soap)

4 1/2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
4 1/2 Table spoons of flour.
4 1/2 medium onions chopped for frying.
1 1/2 litres chicken stock
675 grams thick set yogurt.
2 1/4 oz butter or Samna.
3 tablespoons of veg. oil for frying the onions.

Method
fry the onions until brown, but not burnt and keep separate
gently cook the garlic in the butter on a slow heat for a minute or so without browning it.
add the flour and blend to a past
add the yogurt one or two spoons at a time and blend gently (you may have to increase the heat a little) until all the yogurt is mixed. at this stage I had to use an egg whisk to beat the lumps out).
add a little of the chicken stock and all of the onions (you can keep some for garnish if you want)
keep stirring and add the rest of the stock
simmer for about 5 mins. and stir occasionally
add salt and pepper and simmer for 5 or so more mins. (if it gets too thick add more stock or a little water).
turn heat off an let it rest for 5 mins. or so (if you can wait that long)
bil hana wil shefa
It was delicious. Kind regards

Comments
By the way Kishk seems to be very forgiving, I made it with chicken stock cubes with real chicken stock and when there was no trace of chicken in the house a couple of beef stock cubes did the trick (the colour was a bit on the dark side but who cares!). I really hope you enjoy it.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Well done Blossom! 8)
blossom

Post by blossom »

Thank you Pirate ;)
Yasmina
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Yasmina »

Hi
It is very nice topic.well done
Keep going,I hope you visit my topic and tell me what do you think :oops: can you pleas.
DEMA

Post by DEMA »

hiiiiiiiiiii blossom
my mum says hello to u and wants method of koshari :)
this is my favorite dish to me :)
chemist
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by chemist »

Salam Blosom what a wonderful recipeis.
You seem to be a good cooker :wink:

Ummmmmm Yummmmi, I let my wife cook for me some.

Thank you keep on going.
How about Basbosa can you write about it for ramadan I love its taste

See you