EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderators: Dixie, EC

DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Postby Shazzam » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:26 am

I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have never bought a dessert wine in my life and from what I have been told you have to be very careful what sort of dessert you serve with certain dessert wines.

Does anyone have any suggestions; or a favorite dessert wine they could recommend?
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8)
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Dixie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Well, I know many good wine brands but they are Catalan and Spanish wines so I don't think you can find them there...

Catalan: Priorat, Penedès...
Spanish: Rioja...

I tried, though... Good luck, honey ;)
Last edited by Dixie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Re: DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Postby MissLT » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm

shazzam1452 wrote:I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have never bought a dessert wine in my life and from what I have been told you have to be very careful what sort of dessert you serve with certain dessert wines.

Does anyone have any suggestions; or a favorite dessert wine they could recommend?
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8)

I have Instyle magazine sent to me every month, and in that magazine there is a little section of how to have a bbq time or hold a party. It includes everything from main course meal to dessert and cocktail. If you're interested, I'll scan the copies out and send them to you :wink: .
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby shokin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Rioja is very good ! My friend bought it in Valencia and brought it to us !

I like very much the Muscat, too !

In Switzerland we have the "fendant" (="cabernet sauvignon").

The "malvoisie" and "la petite arvine" are aussi in my favourites dessert wines !

The Sauterne is very good, too.

I suppose there are many others that I don't know, but google can help us !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
User avatar
shokin
Polished Diamond Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Location: Switzerland
Status: English Learner

Re: DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Postby Shazzam » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:42 am

LennyeTran wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote:I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have never bought a dessert wine in my life and from what I have been told you have to be very careful what sort of dessert you serve with certain dessert wines.

Does anyone have any suggestions; or a favorite dessert wine they could recommend?
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8)

I have Instyle magazine sent to me every month, and in that magazine there is a little section of how to have a bbq time or hold a party. It includes everything from main course meal to dessert and cocktail. If you're interested, I'll scan the copies out and send them to you :wink: .


Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:43 am

shokin wrote:Rioja is very good ! My friend bought it in Valencia and brought it to us !

I like very much the Muscat, too !

In Switzerland we have the "fendant" (="cabernet sauvignon").

The "malvoisie" and "la petite arvine" are aussi in my favourites dessert wines !

The Sauterne is very good, too.

I suppose there are many others that I don't know, but google can help us !

Shokin


Wow! Excellent I have written down the wines that you have suggested I will check out the bottleshop next time I'm there for these brands.

Thanks so much for the information! 8)
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby vince90 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:08 pm

I like "Yellow Tail" brand Australian wine. It's so smooth. I don't know they have desert wine for this brand or not. Since you live there you may want to check it out.
vince90
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Postby MissLT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:30 pm

shazzam1452 wrote: Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)

What kinda dessert are you planning to make?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Postby Shazzam » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:01 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote: Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)

What kinda dessert are you planning to make?


Strawberry flan (very sweet) with cinamon cream! YUM :)

There goes the waistline again!! :wink:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:36 pm

I didn't have to worry about the dessert wine a friend brought some with them. It was PEACH SCHNAPPS I think that is the spelling. Yummy! 8) I was very :D after a couple of glasses. If I had anymore than a couple I think I would have been rolling around :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Next

Return to Food & Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests