EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Typical food in your country

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderators: Dixie, EC

Typical food in your country

Postby Dixie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:52 am

I was watching this programme on TV this week about Catalonia from the point of view of immigrants living here. They talk about a different topic every week. This week's topic was food.

Some immigrants mentioned that they were at first shocked at the sight of cured ham, but when they tasted it they liked it so much they wanted more. A Chinese man, who has been living here for 9 years, said that he went to China recently and all he could think of was cured ham :lol:

In Lleida, a very typical dish is snails!! That's another thing some of the immigrants were shocked about :D

What do you guys think of the two examples I just mentioned? What did you feel in viewing the images? Did you know about this type of food?

I will give more examples later.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

cured ham is delicious!

Postby yarrow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi
cured ham is very delicious! sometimes we make it in winnter.
in my city, lobster(http://www.oursci.org/news/2005/021601-2.jpg) is more loved by pepole now. ha ha!
yarrow

Postby Hardi » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:53 am

I think that cured ham is probably too salty. And snails.... I don't wanna go to dinner with you. yuck!
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby FIVER » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:26 am

I think I've tried cured ham before. It was tough and yes, too salty for me. Snails? Um... I don't like to eat whole animals that I can imagine walking (or crawling) off my plate :? . That goes for the lobsters too. Now, if they were diced up or chopped into little somethings then mixed into veggies, maybe I wouldn't mind trying it. :wink:

BTW, nice topic!
FIVER
Platinum Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:16 am

Hardi wrote:I think that cured ham is probably too salty. And snails.... I don't wanna go to dinner with you. yuck!

Don't worry Hardi, I'm not fond of snails either. Personally I find it very, very gross. :lol:
Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:48 am

Another feature that some people commented on on the TV programme was about our eating habits. According to some of them, we eat too much in Catalunya: we have breakfast, lunch and dinner. In this case, they were referring to lunch. We usually have 3 dishes for lunch:

* A first dish, e.g. a salad, pasta, soup, rice, etc.
* A second dish consisting on fish or meat
*A third dish which is usually dessert.

How about lunch in other countries? How many dishes do you have?
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:30 pm

I love snails. :oops: We have so many different kinds in Vietnam, and they make them into many different ways. If I came back for a visit and did not have at least one dish of snails, I would not leave Vietnam :twisted: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:36 pm

FIVER wrote: That goes for the lobsters too.

Ooooh, please go to dinner with me, then. I'll help you eating the lobster. :twisted:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby essie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 am

I had cured ham in a pasta dish once. I liked it..

Tried snails and never again... :oops:
essie
Gold Member

Postby FIVER » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:42 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Ooooh, please go to dinner with me, then. I'll help you eating the lobster. :twisted:

I have absolutely no problem with this. :D :wink:
FIVER
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Food & Fitness