EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

MEXICANA EQUINOX AND KUKULCAN

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderators: Vega, EC

MEXICANA EQUINOX AND KUKULCAN

Postby Elba » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:03 am

At Mexico we havea very important vestivity, wich come from ancient cultures. Is the Spring Equinox at Chichén-Itzá, Yucatán, in the shouth of the country.

Thousands of people from around the world gather at this Mayan ruin on the Yucatán peninsula to witness the afternoon shadow of the snake-god Kukulcán slowly "crawl down" the country's largest Mayan pyramid, Kulkulcan (aka El Castillo).

You can belive it, but when the sun go down, the light and the shadow of the piramid form the image of a snake go down to the piramid in a zig zag movement.

This is the snake

Kukulcan, (or Quetzalcoatl God, the plumed serpent), was the symbol of a sun-Pleiades-zenith conjunction. Exactly 60 days after the Spring Equinox, on May 20, the zenith passage of the sun takes place over Chichen Itza. The Crotalus rattlesnake, whose pattern is constantly used in Mesoamerican art, has a marking on it which is identical to the Solar ‘Ahau’ glyph of the Maya, and its rattle was called ‘tzab’, which is the same word used for the Pleiades star cluster.

The moving snake on the Pyramid is an annual reminder of a conjunction of the zenith sun with the Pleiades over Chichen Itza, but this is an event which will only occur during a 72-year time window, from 1976 to 2048. Right at the centre of this time window is the year 2012, when the Great Cycle ends. On May 20 2012, the zenith passage combines with a solar eclipse, on the Tzolkin day 10 Chichan, which means serpent. The winter solstice end-point will be 4 Ahau in the Tzolkin calendar, meaning Lord/Sun, and 3 Kankin in the Haab calendar, which means ‘snake-day’.

Well friends this only one of the misteries of ancient cultures of my country, and I must to tell you something.
I´m proud of that.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby idalia » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:46 am

Elba thank you so much for the post, in fact I knew just a little part about the story but not everything, where did you get the information?

I'm also proud of my country and "Viva Mexico".

Sorry I know only English is allowed here, but I had to say that phrase, you know what I mean? don't you?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
idalia
Platinum Member

Postby amoolah » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:09 am

hi Elba....thanks soooooooo much for this interesting post :) I wish to have a visit to that place once in my live ;) in fact i like to visit such wonderful old places
amoolah
Gold Member

Postby Elba » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:07 pm

Idalia,

At internet youo could fine the information you need about that and another prehispanic cultures, in English and Spanish too.

Amoolah. If you want to come some day only contact me. I´d like to be your tourist guide.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby idalia » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:59 pm

Hey I need a guide too! would you invite me??????? :?:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
idalia
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:05 am

Hey, I could drive to Mexico this weekend! Can someone be my guide???

Nice pics and info, Elba. I guess you are slowly coming out of the monkey phase and back into human phase.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Elba » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:44 am

Of course Jimmy,

But tell me when are you planning to come to Mexico.
I´m going have march 27, 28, and 29 off. Canada is near from Mexico, give the number of the flight, and I pick you up at the Airport in México City.
Idalia could go with us.

Ahhhhhhh!

Don´t forget to carry up a bananna for me ;)
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:41 am

What did the snake mean for them ?

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Unknownsu » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:42 am

Thank you Elba!!!!!!!

Hmm...27th, 28th, and 29th, huh? Sure, I'll make those my off days as well!!!!!!!!

You're right, I would save a lot of time by flying since it takes, what, 3 days to drive, give or take a few hours?

I'll make sure to bring you a bunch of bananas!! In fact, I'll bring a whole suitcase full of them, just for you!
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Next

Return to Adventure & Travel