Pilot Guides

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Pilot Guides

Post by Lalee »

I was wondering if you guys watched pilot guides (lonely planet)
If you do, it would be interesting to discuss and share about the episodes. You can learn so much from programs like this one.
The latest episode I've watched is about Nepal and I really enjoyed it. :D
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

This show is called Globetrekker in the States.

What do you think of Ian?

What was your favorite part in the episode?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Unknownsu wrote: What do you think of Ian?
So far I've only seen Ian in two different episodes and he looks like fun. I think he makes a good trekker because he's always willing to try new things and does not chicken out easily. He's funny too but there's one thing I don't like much about Ian, his accent. It's so strong. My ears are not used to hearing British accent so I usually find it weird.
Unknownsu wrote: What was your favorite part in the episode?
The Humla wedding. Ian was not the only one who got shocked when he saw the littke kid who was going to marry to a woman who doubled his age. :shock:
It was so weird to see those five guys ( two of them were kids) marrying that girl. But it's their culture and what can we do about it, right? It's interesting but kind of complicated too.

What about you?
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

You haven't seen anything yet! Ian is a hardened trekker but the 2 episodes you've seen hasn't even touched the surface of the real Ian yet. In time you will know.

What I liked about the Nepal episode was a combination of everything. The intro, the kumari, it being the cheapest place I've seen on the show (where else in the world can you find a room for 25 cents), the Everest highway, and of course, Ian. His reaction to the grooms was just hilarious and genuine.

If you didn't like Ian's British accent, I guess you won't like Nikki Grosse either because she's British too. Btw, did you catch the wisecrack he made when the bride came out of the hut?
Last edited by Unknownsu on Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I saw two more episodes last night.

Hawaii (finally, eh?)

Megan was kind of bland in this one. I think my favorite part was right in the introduction where Megan and her guide were disco dancing in the waterfall. Oh, and the lava flowing volcano, Kilaeuea, would be a very interesting sight.

Iran

Some mixed feelings about this episode. Although I enjoy large masses and watching people going about their daily lives, Tehran was too religiously strict for me. The Blue Mosque at Esfahan was really interesting though, as is Persepolis.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Unknownsu wrote: Btw, did you catch the wisecrack he made when the bride came out of the hut?
When he said, "oh is this the bride"? When he said that, it was like he was expecting to see something better. The bride looked like a mummy to me. :lol: I still wonder how she was able to breathe.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Unknownsu wrote:I saw two more episodes last night.

Hawaii (finally, eh?)
If I remember correctly I asked you some questions about that episode, didn't I? Now where are the answers??
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Lalee wrote:When he said, "oh is this the bride"? When he said that, it was like he was expecting to see something better. The bride looked like a mummy to me. :lol: I still wonder how she was able to breathe.
I knew you had a problem with your sight but I guess it extends to your ears as well. :roll:

When the bride came out he said, "That's the bride there - a bit shy - but if I was marrying five blokes, I would stay in there. I wouldn't come out."

To me, the comment sounds funny but serious at the same time. A bloke is a British slang for guy/man/fellow.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Lalee wrote:If I remember correctly I asked you some questions about that episode, didn't I? Now where are the answers??
Please feel free to refresh my memory since you asked them on Yahoo messenger so long ago.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

You have to catch up, Violet!

I have a question for you on Ultimate China. Right after Zay talks to the Long March veteran, Megan says something in front of the Forbidden City about Mao Zedong and quotes him. How did that make you feel?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I've seen this sometimes, I know that Megan girl. My mom usually watches Pilot Guides, but I didn't know it was called that way :D
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Megan is great, isn't she? Dixie, I read somewhere your mother can't speak English. Does she understand what she is watching? Wait, my dad loves this show and he can't speak a word of English. :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:Megan is great, isn't she? Dixie, I read somewhere your mother can't speak English. Does she understand what she is watching? Wait, my dad loves this show and he can't speak a word of English. :wink:
Of course not. Unfortunately (at least to me, because I don't think most people like my mom agree) international tv programmes are dubbed into Spanish or Catalan here. My mom watches Pilot Guides in Spanish :evil:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

I know what you mean which makes me curious as to whether or not they translate word for word. :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:I know what you mean which makes me curious as to whether or not they translate word for word. :roll:
I don't think so, you know how these things go :roll: Moreover, a word for word translation is impossible especially when you find expressions which only belong to that language or word games or... :lol: Anyway I guess the translators do their best, although of course I would prefer the subtitles.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Unknownsu wrote:I know what you mean which makes me curious as to whether or not they translate word for word. :roll:
Sometimes you surprise me.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Dixie wrote:I don't think so, you know how these things go :roll: Moreover, a word for word translation is impossible especially when you find expressions which only belong to that language or word games or... :lol: Anyway I guess the translators do their best, although of course I would prefer the subtitles.
I bet if you were placed in a room with a dubbing artist and given the chance, you would make his/her life a living hell. :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote: I bet if you were placed in a room with a dubbing artist and given the chance, you would make his/her life a living hell. :wink:
Nah, I don't think so. I consider them artists, and even actors as well. But I do think that when you see a dubbed movie you miss half of it. Where's the artists' work? The writer's? etc.

Yes I am one of those weird specimens who prefer original versions, with subtitles if I don't know the language.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

You're not as weird as you think, Merce. There are plenty of people out there who would agree with you. I am one of them. I have to watch movies in its original dialogue with the exception of cartoons. It's just some of us humans who are too lazy to read subs or can't read, for that matter. (I'm not talking about your mom, btw. :wink: )
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:You're not as weird as you think, Merce. There are plenty of people out there who would agree with you. I am one of them. I have to watch movies in its original dialogue with the exception of cartoons. It's just some of us humans who are too lazy to read subs or can't read, for that matter. (I'm not talking about your mom, btw. :wink: )
Well, I think I am weird because none of the people I know personally would agree with me (except my classmates in college, obviously :D ), since they do not speak other languages besides Catalan and Spanish.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about "Pilot guides"? *raising eyebrow*
we should do something about the lack of emoticons here really.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: we should do something about the lack of emoticons here really.
I know!!!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

violet wrote: Dixie mentioned that she thought Mao is ugly. But for me, or maybe for most Chinese older than 35, we never thought of whether Mao is good-looking or ugly. We just thought he is great.
I thought you knew I was kidding :roll: :lol: Who am I to talk about other people's appearances... I've got mirrors in my home, you know :lol: :D Anyway, I was just trying to joke with our guide, and told him that I thought Mao was ugly. I thought the guide would laugh, or at least smile, but he stared at me like, this woman's crazy :!: That's why I asked you if I had, in any way, offended him :D
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Dixie wrote:I thought you knew I was kidding :roll: :lol: Who am I to talk about other people's appearances... I've got mirrors in my home, you know :lol: :D Anyway, I was just trying to joke with our guide, and told him that I thought Mao was ugly. I thought the guide would laugh, or at least smile, but he stared at me like, this woman's crazy :!: That's why I asked you if I had, in any way, offended him :D
Lol, you're so humble!

Dixie, I thought you would know better than that! It's a big no-no to visit a country and criticize its political leaders. You've been very bad! In Thailand, you could be thrown in jail for stepping on money that has the king's portrait.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Violet, thanks for letting me understand a little on how Chinese people think of Mao, however, I just wanted to know what you felt when Megan said those words. For those who haven't seen it, this is what Megan says:

"From that balcony on October 1st, 1949, Mao Zedong stood and announced the People’s Republic of China. He uttered these famous words, 'China has risen.'"

Now, if I was living on the mainland and I heard Mao say that, I would be beaming with pride. Even when Megan quoted him, the look on her face looked as if she was proud for the Chinese. Of course, that's only my speculation. :P But because I am only Chinese by ancestry and have never been associated with China, I can only be proud for the Chinese people. 8)
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Here are some questions you guys can answer:

1 - To you, what are the highlights of Ultimate China?

2 - Did you not like anything?

3 - Which ethnic minority do you find more interesting - the Akha, the Miao, or the Hakka?

4 - What's the grossest thing you saw being eaten?

5 - What do you think of the trekkers?

And Violet, how accurate were the trekkers' Chinese pronunciation?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote: Dixie, I thought you would know better than that! It's a big no-no to visit a country and criticize its political leaders. You've been very bad! In Thailand, you could be thrown in jail for stepping on money that has the king's portrait.
I know, I guess I just forgot it was a different culture, my sin was to think everybody had a sense of humor :lol:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Unknownsu wrote:Here are some questions you guys can answer:

1 - To you, what are the highlights of Ultimate China?
Umm...

2 - Did you not like anything?
I liked one of the hosts. :oops:

3 - Which ethnic minority do you find more interesting - the Akha, the Miao, or the Hakka?
Umm...

4 - What's the grossest thing you saw being eaten?
Anything really. I'd eat any of that without thinking it twice. 8)

5 - What do you think of the trekkers?
The guy was so cute. What's his name again?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

About Arctic Canada
I really enjoyed watching this episode. Ian was so funny there.
Funny parts:
*I can’t believe he asked the girl who was singing and playing the guitar to shut her mouth.
*When he was pretending to pee in one of the buckets.
*Him acting like a seal.
*When he’s reading the newspaper and commeting about a puppy that got kicked and he’s like, “I’ll find out who did it” with a cute look. LOL
And there is more!

And among the people who already watched it, what do you think about the eskimo’s song? Isn’t it creepy? I was like, “what the..” when I started to hear it. It was very scary.
One of my friends was online and I asked him to listen to it and he gave me a "wtf?" LOL It was like one of the women was moaning or something but in a very odd way. When I first heard, it sounded as if a pig was moaning.
:shock:

It seems that Ian had a great time in Canada. At the end he said that he'd prefer the weather from there.
I can’t believe that people live in areas where they can freeze. It’s so cold there. I thought that no people live in Yellowknife. I thought that it was an isolated town or something but I was wrong.

It was a good episode. Maybe I liked it better than others because of the snow everywhere?
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Lalee wrote:And among the people who already watched it, what do you think about the eskimo’s song? Isn’t it creepy?
I wouldn't say it was creepy. I just didn't think it was captivating.