California (besides Hollywood and Disneyland)

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

California (besides Hollywood and Disneyland)

Post by Cypress »

Somehow, most people think that California is all about Hollywood and Disneyland. However, there are lots of other interesting places to visit in the golden state.

One of such places is Stanford University. I wanted to visit this place because of the Rodin’s sculptures. The Stanford museum has the biggest collection of Rodin’s works outside of France. However, as I went there I found much more.

The university was found by Leland Stanford and his wife in memory of their son Leland Stanford Junior, who died at age 16. The campus is very beautiful :) . Buildings with arches and red tiles, palm trees, and blue sky create a magnificent look. I paid two dollars and observed the campus from high above, from the top of the Hoover Tower.
When I was walking around the campus, I tried to examine the students without staring at them :roll: . I expected them to look snobby, such smart nerds :evil: . But they looked normal and friendly :D . Deep in my heart, I envied them a little bit :( .

The museum, however, was the main point of my visit. It has Asian, African, Mediterranean, Native American, and many other permanent collections. There are also temporary exhibits. During my visit, the museum was exhibiting art works by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch. You might have heard about his painting The Scream (That’s where the idea for the movie came from). And, of course, the bronzes of Auguste Rodin. Among them The Gates of Hell, The Three Shade, The Thinker, The Burghers of Calais, and many others.

I had a great time.

You can see the pictures here http://www.poltavskaya.photosite.com/Album2/
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

You can go to S.F to go shopping with me also. I love the H&M stores they have there. :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Did you take those pictures?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:Did you take those pictures?
If yes - obviously Cypress is a genius!!! I awe her in advance! amazying! :!:
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

I took most of the pictures and the rest were taking by my boyfriend. With modern technologies, you don’t really need to be a genius.
We just walked around and pressed the button.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Wow, those look really nice.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Very nice pictures! :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:You can go to S.F to go shopping with me also. I love the H&M stores they have there. :wink:
We have those here, too. Clothing stores, right?

Wonderful pics, Cypress!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote: We have those here, too. Clothing stores, right?

Wonderful pics, Cypress!
Yeah, they came from Europe. And then they opened their first stores in New York. Several months later they opened their other stores in San Francisco, then in other places after S.F. The big store they have in downtown S.F. has been crowded ever since the first day it opened. I've been trying to fill in my closet with their clothes. Gosh, it's so hard to get their clothes there if I'm not quick enough. Can't compete with those skinny, shoppaholic girls. :cry:

By the way, our fashion trend is always several months behind New Yorker's and probably almost a year behind European's.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Nothing interesting! too artificial.. flat crass and buildings... it's horrible, dough probably are most well developed cities like that. These places on photos yell for disarrangement.. I think i must go and make something proken there, to make it beautiful. Is there some nationalbark near? Maybe are even national barks there too ordered.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Hardi wrote:Nothing interesting! too artificial.. flat crass and buildings... it's horrible, dough probably are most well developed cities like that. These places on photos yell for disarrangement.. I think i must go and make something proken there, to make it beautiful. Is there some nationalbark near? Maybe are even national barks there too ordered.
post your ones here, Hardi! :wink:
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

LennyeTran wrote:
Dixie wrote: We have those here, too. Clothing stores, right?

Wonderful pics, Cypress!
Yeah, they came from Europe. And then they opened their first stores in New York. Several months later they opened their other stores in San Francisco, then in other places after S.F. The big store they have in downtown S.F. has been crowded ever since the first day it opened. I've been trying to fill in my closet with their clothes. Gosh, it's so hard to get their clothes there if I'm not quick enough. Can't compete with those skinny, shoppaholic girls. :cry:

By the way, our fashion trend is always several months behind New Yorker's and probably almost a year behind European's.

H&M stores :? Hmmm, I haven't been to any. Are they very expansive or actually affordable for students?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

The price is pretty reasonable. Their price is like Forever21's, but their clothes are way cuter. 8)
rayuela

Post by rayuela »

H&M is a Swedish franchise (like IKEA, it´s also swedish), H&M stands for Hennes and Mauritz, that means Man and Woman. The swedish are conquering the world with cheap stores!!!

Do you have in California IKEA´s?, they are fantastic!! almost all european young people buy the furniture of their houses in IKEA.

Related to California, I love the series "The OC". I didn´t know what standed it for. One friend of San Diego told me that means "The Orange County". It´s funny, I didn´t imagine that "The OC" could be the name of a County!!!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Yeah, we have Ikea here in the States. There's one near my house, about 15 minutes away (almost everything is around my area 8) ). Their furniture is pretty nice especially for people with small budget. You can get the furniture in a cheap price, and they look pretty decent. 8)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, we have Ikea here in the States. There's one near my house, about 15 minutes away (almost everything is around my area 8) ). Their furniture is pretty nice especially for people with small budget. You can get the furniture in a cheap price, and they look pretty decent. 8)
I can't say IKEA here is for people with small budget. At least I'm among them and IKEA is not for me! :P
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I checked the Russian site at Ikea main website, but I don't know how much they would be in dollar. For example, this one,

БЛАНДА БЛАНК
Миска

399.—

:?
rayuela

Post by rayuela »

Tora, I don´t know how you can say that IKEA is not for small budgets, it´s the cheapest thing I know!

Perhaps in Russia you have cheapest stores :?:

Bad thing about IKEA, you have to assemble all pieces, and sometimes it´s not easy!!
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:I checked the Russian site at Ikea main website, but I don't know how much they would be in dollar. For example, this one,

БЛАНДА БЛАНК
Миска

399.—

:?
$14 you're so funny, LennyeTran! :wink: I don't think that a bowl shoud cost $14, is it a plastic one?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

We don't have the same bowl here. It should be stainless steel. But you're right, 14 dollars for a stainless steel bowl? I can get it for 5 dollars at Target. 8)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:We don't have the same bowl here. It should be stainless steel. But you're right, 14 dollars for a stainless steel bowl? I can get it for 5 dollars at Target. 8)
i can make by myself a wooden one if I do really need it! :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Cool, what else can you make? Our family usually buy our utensils in Vietnam since we always have someone comes back there for a visit every year.