EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Why many children nowadays don't respect their parents?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Re: Why many children nowadays don't respect their parents?

Postby pob » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:30 pm

delieght wrote:Parents had brought them up with great care and love,

yet I still see some children disrespect their parents. Why is that so?

I sometimes cannot help feeling sad when I see them do this.

You can give love, but you can't wait for the same...

Children have always and everywhere disrespected their parents. The point is that now, a great ammount of children don't care about showing their disrespect.

I wish those children would soon feel sad as you feel about their behaviour, and so they could think about changing their behaviour.
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
pob
Silver Member

Postby quicksilver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:17 am

I always respect my parents.
I do anything since my parents are happy.
I even entered the university my parents want.
I think in my country , everyone respects their parents too .
Cos in my country , tradition is very tough.
quicksilver
Gold Member

Postby Arale » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:13 am

I don't think a good child should always obey their parents. We have our own opinions and our parents aren't always right. I don't like the way of educating children that parents' opinions have to be followed by their children. This may prevent children from developing their creation. And in such families, children are usually dependent. They neither have their own words nor do anything themselves. Being educated by parents is great but in some cases, children can naturally grow up well, I believe so. :wink:

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Ika » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:17 pm

well, yes, I must agree, too much respect is really sometimes as bad as not respect at all. The golden middle way is in between. I don't think we must consider older people always to be right, even if they are not. Everybody just has to have his own values, and basically they come from family. Children and teenagers are people, and adults make great mistakes just wanting them to be respectful. There must be a reason to have respect. Talk, discuss, explain what you think, tell them what you want and , most important, tell them why you want it. Sometimes parents think it is enough just to give orders and that's it. Why not explain? Why not discuss possible consequences, if it is not done the right way? And if teenagers don't understand you, maybe it's not because they are bad, but just because you didn't find the right words? Try again. There is no one recipy for everybody. So , if you have a problem, you must try as much as needed to find the way to your teenager's ears and heart. There is such a way, always.
And if you don't , there are others, who always will- the other teenagers, the internet, the movies... without your help your teenager can get the wrong message.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Ika
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Ideas and Opinions