EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What do you think of genius/supersmart guys?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What do you think of genius/supersmart guys?

Postby luckygirl9 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:27 am

It is said by the newspaper that a 14-year-old American supersmart boy shot himself with no omen and had left no testaments.People who around him gave out many evaluations,saying that this world may not give him enough challenges.Moreover,before his death he said several times of helping others,so following his hopes,some of his organs were transplanted into other ill-suffered teens' bodies.
Sometimes it is hard to understand them in our general mind cause they supersmart guys think absolutely the opposite directions.How to protect them,helping them and encouraging them to dedicate themselves to the social progress is still serious.
What do you think of the genius and how to help them grow better?
luckygirl9
Silver Member

Postby gill » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:33 am

i really do understand these "smart boys". they just think too much and live too few. in this condition they find the nonsense of being. they have to stop to think and start to live, to experience something thats worth of living. thats only rescue...
to think and not to live makes you see only the bad side of life. and to see only the bad side of life makes you not to live. and so on to the self-destruction...
heres my thoery: only racio is (in normal case) able to end the life. bio has to give the racio opportunity of socio. socio has to help racio not to fall into the circle of self-destruction with bio. racio has to become socio of someone else. thats the way the society exists. (imho ;) )
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity
gill
Silver Member

Postby blossom » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:47 am

HI
I think that looking for those smart people as they are especial and as if they are strange may give a bad feeling . we have to deal with them as if they are normal people .
blossom
Silver Member

Postby luckygirl9 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:18 pm

blossom wrote:HI
we have to deal with them as if they are normal people .

So,follow your opinion, :arrow: they should go to school as ordinary people,but can't hop up into higher education? :roll: Then it seemed impossible,just like strings to tide them up,it will contrain them to do further.
luckygirl9
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:59 pm

luckygirl9 wrote:
blossom wrote:HI
we have to deal with them as if they are normal people .

So,follow your opinion, :arrow: they should go to school as ordinary people,but can't hop up into higher education? :roll: Then it seemed impossible,just like strings to tide them up,it will contrain them to do further.

One of the guys in my high school senior year was a genus in math, well, that's what I thought back then and I still think so because he was in the top ten of the national mathemetics contest. He even taught one of the Calculus teachers how to solve a problem in his new own way, a way which was different from the math textbook. I believe his IQ should be above 140 (just my guess), but he went to the same AP classes as my cousin and he hung out with the same people as I. In another words, nothing was unusual or inordinary about him except we knew that he was extremely intelligent for his age. You might think it was a waste that an intelligent guy like him being in the same classes with people who were not as smart as him in every single school's subject, but surprisingly he told us that he wanted it that way. Also, it was his parents's wish to raise him and have him live a life of a normal kid.
He told us he didn't want to exclude himself out of the group of kids around his age because of his IQ. The life of high school he chose was to be with kids around his age, no matter what their IQ was, and the life after school was his own life doing all the extraordinary things that a normal kid couldn't do. This is the reason why most of the seniors and even teachers in my class loved him. Not like the other guys who were quite smart like him but had bad attitude towards idiotic students, he was different--he was so friendly when we asked him to teach us how to solve math problems or tell us about anything that he knew. In addition, he didn't go on and on about how smart he was or compare his intelligence to bring us down. He got into Harvard after high school although he should have been there earlier.
In overall, the choice of how to live their lives depends on them geniuses. If they think they should live a normal life like anybody else then let them will be; however, if they think their intelligence should not be wasted with people are not smart like them, let them stay in advance classes. There are so many things in life they can do to make their intelligence to be useful. Moreover, so many problems that we, humans, don't have the answers yet and I don't think those geniuses can answer them, so it's a loss that 14-year-old kid killed himself. He could have done much more for the human race if he knew how to use his intelligence wisely. Therefore, I don't think he was a genius himself. Well, maybe to others but it's absolutely not to me. :roll:

Return to Ideas and Opinions