EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Internet grocery shopping! What do you think?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:10 pm

shokin wrote: Difference between price and value sounds you ridiculous ?

I did not answer you in General Discussion and I won't answer you this here. You don't know the differences between them and the way they can be interchangeable in some phrases or meanings. It's useless to debate, all right.

shokin wrote:What I did not appreciate at all from you is the :

LennyeTran wrote:Human contact, conversation, blah blah blah, forget about all that stuff when you deal with stuff online.

Shokin

If you knew I was talking about my example of grocery online shopping and not go over the subject such as chatting, meeting friends, ebay, etc., then you would know there was no way you could do such thing when you were doing that kinda online shopping. How are you gonna do that, I'm asking you? Send them an email to complain or ask questions about your grocery online? Yeah, go ahead and try that :roll: . Anyway, this discussion between you and I in this topic is over. End of discussion for me.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:45 pm

manrat wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote:I think that internet shopping would benefit people that are homebound and have to rely on others (sick or elderly).

8)

I agree. Sick, elderly or disabled people can benefit. I have friends who are blind. Unless someone else gives them a ride to the store, they sometimes just cannot go. If its close, they are able to go on their own and just walk but not every store is around the corner or the same city :wink:
So I asked them and they say that it is good to have the option to shop online. This may not be a priority and people prefer to go on their own and see first hand, but it is a possibility for those who need it.

I think people with disabilities like your friend would find it very beneficial. I'm sure on the days when they have someone to go with them they would obviously prefer to go shopping and spend time interacting with people, but on the days when they can't what a great solution. They no longer have to wait for someone to bring them their milk etc. I'm all for it! I just love the fact that elderly people are also starting to embrace some of the new technologies and realising some of the benefits.

:D :D :D
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:09 pm

LennyeTran wrote:End of discussion for me.

Okay ! we have very different opinions. You accept the system like it is, and I don't accept the system like it is.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:25 am

shokin wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:End of discussion for me.

Okay ! we have very different opinions. You accept the system like it is, and I don't accept the system like it is.

Shokin

This I agree. :wink:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby frengo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:17 pm

Shokin, why are you putting a "black label" on Internet now? Nobody has told that we should abandon human contacts and remain connected to the net all day long... just in some cases we can obtain an advantage by using online services!
It seems to me that you are often oriented to "totally refuse" or "totally accept" many things... just like you were unable to select the good part refusing the bad part. I say so after reading many of your posts (even if I haven't replied to all of them). Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point, but are you sure that everything can be classified just as "100% good" or "100% bad"? Actually I agree with all your main opinions concerning nature preservation, human rights, and so on... for that reason I must say that sometimes I think you're acting like if you were fighting a sort of "holy war"... remember that nothing is absolute in this world. Why not make your approach more flexible? :wink:
frengo
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby shokin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:14 pm

I did not say that internet (or anything) was 100% bad.

But I did take one position, seeing the good and the bad for each thing.

And not only for the "consumer" (consumer's right).

I defend many things that I see in danger (observing all potential dangers).

We especially see that we take much from nature, and give not so much to nature.

Yes, I act, I inform people.

Nothing is absolute. But sometimes a thing makes much more evil than good.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby frengo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Right, we must be informed as much as possible... let's continue to do so (I know you don't need to be encouraged... :wink: )
frengo
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006

Ancient History

Postby joedev1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:13 am

Regarding the original post which expressed surprise that an elderly gentelman would be interested in online grocery shopping: When I was a boy, waaaaaaay back in the stone age, around 1965, my mother used to buy food by telephone. She had six children to take care of and the walk to the nearest grocery story was about 45 minutes. It seemed like a good thing then, why not now just using modern technology?

Teacher Joe

Good teachers cost a lot.
Bad teachers cost a lot more!
joedev1

Re: Ancient History

Postby Shazzam » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:06 pm

joedev1 wrote:Regarding the original post which expressed surprise that an elderly gentelman would be interested in online grocery shopping: When I was a boy, waaaaaaay back in the stone age, around 1965, my mother used to buy food by telephone. She had six children to take care of and the walk to the nearest grocery story was about 45 minutes. It seemed like a good thing then, why not now just using modern technology?

Teacher Joe

Good teachers cost a lot.
Bad teachers cost a lot more!

I remember my grandmother ordering over the phone (local store) to deliver to her as well. But the technology that I'm referring to is more than that. This elderly gentleman had bought an internet connected fridge! You have to admit that is amazing. It gives a whole different dimension to home delivery.

I know alot of elderly people are becoming more involved with internet procedures; but most still don't even use ATM's. The fact this this gentleman was so keen on embracing this new technology astounded me. I'm very interested in new technologies and I can't even fathom how this would work. 8)
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Ancient History

Postby MissLT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:27 pm

shazzam1452 wrote: I know alot of elderly people are becoming more involved with internet procedures; but most still don't even use ATM's.

But they have ATM cards, though. I know most of my grandma's friends have visa and ATM cards, but they like to have cash in their wallet all the time because it's convenience and, well, most of them don't know how to use the ATM machine to withdraw the money. Anyway, don't you hate it when you have to stand in line and before you is a person who buys a product worths two bucks, but that person has to pay with his/her visa card? I find it extremely annoying :x .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions