EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Why do you wanna learn English or New Language?!

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Why do you wanna learn English or New Language?!

Postby imanakbar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi

I think everyone must know 2 or 3 Languages why???
coz when you wanna go another country or Abroad, you need their language right!!

If you wanna go to School , Shopping , University or other places you just need a LANGUAGE ok

You belive me?!!!! maybe you went to chat room , could you communicate with for example A Turkish Person , A Mexican Person ....... you must ( have to) know his (her) language .

the worldwide language such as english must be able to be spoken. In this modern era, era of global friendship, we meet people from different countries with different languages, we need english to able to communicate each other.

So far, english helps me so much improve my horizon and friendship since I can make friends with people around the world. So i think it's such a shame if we're unable to speak and comprehend english.

What do you think? I'm looking forward to knowing from you.

Best regards
imanakbar

Postby SvobodaGab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:56 pm

In this modern era, era of global friendship, we meet people from different countries with different languages, we need english to able to communicate each other.

We don't need English to be able to communicate with each other. Any language could do the same, English isn't anyhow better than any other language. English, as a national language of several nations, privileges these nations and thus subordinates all other nations. That's why it can't be the language of friendship. It's only a language of unfairness and of native English speakers who like laughing at all other people because these people can't express their thoughts in English (a non-native language for them) as well as Americans, Australians, British and Canadians can (because English is a native language for them).

I think everyone must know 2 or 3 Languages

It would be ideal if everybody could have to know only two languages: his or her native one and the international auxiliary language. However, this language would have to be a fair language; it couldn't be anybody's native language. In my opinion, Esperanto would be the best candidate.

So far, english helps me so much improve my horizon and friendship since I can make friends with people around the world.

You could do the same with Esperanto, on much friendlier basis.

So i think it's such a shame if we're unable to speak and comprehend english.

And where is fairness here? Americans, Australians, British and Canadians can speak English automatically while all other people have to learn it and it's a shame when they can't?

maybe you went to chat room , could you communicate with for example A Turkish Person , A Mexican Person ....... you must ( have to) know his (her) language .

It's much fairer when two people (with different native languages) speak a language, which is native to none of them.
If you aren't Turkish but you speak Turkish language with Turkish people, you give a big unfair advantage to them.
SvobodaGab

Postby Unknownsu » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:58 am

SvobodaGab wrote:We don't need English to be able to communicate with each other. Any language could do the same, English isn't anyhow better than any other language. English, as a national language of several nations, privileges these nations and thus subordinates all other nations. That's why it can't be the language of friendship. It's only a language of unfairness and of native English speakers who like laughing at all other people because these people can't express their thoughts in English (a non-native language for them) as well as Americans, Australians, British and Canadians can (because English is a native language for them).

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. You are making a very broad generalization. I would never mock someone for their lack of expressing themselves in English. English is widely used because of the world's economical leaders. Chinese is limited to China. Japanese is limited to Japan. English, as you said, is used by many countries, therefore, establishing itself as the most "universal" language.
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby SvobodaGab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:22 am

Yes, I am sorry; I didn't want to make such a broad generalisation. I didn't mean that every native English speaker does mock all non-native ones, but that every native speaker can do it, it depends on their personal character. It means, many of them don't do it at all, some of them do it inwardly, some of them don't mince matters and say it aloud. And even good native English speakers can do it subconsciously. Many native English speakers seem to be under big propaganda that the whole world speaks English and decided voluntarily to learn and use English.* However in fact, non-native English speakers have to choose: either you will learn English or you will seem to be like an illiterate. However, a criminal's telling to his or her victim give me your money or give me your life is a similar choice. The victim will probably choose to give money, but it doesn't mean that he or she decided voluntarily.

My country was occupied many times in its history: politically by Austria (1526-1918), militarily by Germany (1938-1945), politically (1948-1968) and militarily (1968-1989) by the Soviet Union. Now it seems to be occupied economically and culturally by the English speaking countries. Ordinary people seem to have chosen this English-language economical and cultural influence voluntarily but it isn't true at all. All these occupations were characterised by a strong influence of the occupating country's language and it once lead to almost-death of my language (thus also of my nation and its culture).

* I heard about an US journalist who travelled to Korea and made reportage about this country. He said that Korean people were very strange because they ate dogs and they didn't speak English. He probably considered non-English languages to be only folklore affairs, only substandard languages spoken by some hicks. And I am afraid that he isn't the only English-speaking person who thinks this way (although I really don't want to generalise).
SvobodaGab

Postby Unknownsu » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Did you have bad experiences with native English speakers? It seems your opinions are biased. I do a bit a traveling and in the countries I visited, some of the locals found it odd when someone like me, who looks like a local, couldn't speak their language. However, I make the greatest effort to learn the local language and do not expect them to know English. This subject you are speaking of does not have monopoly over English speaking communities only. It occurs the world over.

Society tells us what is acceptable and what is not, which I find absurb. This American journalist, who should be knowledgable in worldly affairs, is a slave to his own ignorance. Ignorance is definitely not bliss.

As a matter of fact, I hate the English language but because many choose to learn this language, I am grateful to know it.
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby SvobodaGab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:44 pm

Yes, although I mentioned only natively English speaking people, I know that all people tend to do the same. That's why I say that people of any nation shouldn't have the chance to consider their language somehow better than other language, at least during the international communication. That's why I suggest a neutral international auxiliary language, e. g. Esperanto.

I personally don't have bad experiences with native speakers of any language but I realise that I could have some in the future and many people already have had them.
SvobodaGab

Postby imanakbar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:03 am

Unknownsu , SvobodaGab I'm TOTALLY Disagree WITH YOU

YOU JUST WANNA LEARN ENGLISH , CUZ ENGLISH NON'T

SATURATED YOU ! BUT NOT FOR ME :!:

I like to speak Turkish cuz I wanna Communicate with Turkish

People in Turkey . If I cant speak with them they dont see me for a SENIOR CITIZEN

now you underestand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think so
imanakbar

Return to Ideas and Opinions