EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

People don't take her serious because she's fat?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

People don't take her serious because she's fat?

Postby MissLT » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:12 am

I was watching E! last week, and there was a part the reporter was going around New York in two forms: a thin, athletic girl and a fat girl who would gnaw you like a juicy chicken leg if she couldn't have enough food. People checked her out, answered her questions, and some guys even flirted with her when she was in her thin self. However, when she was dressed as that fat girl, no one bothered to answer her questions or didn't take her questions serious. Some of them even tried not to look at her as like she was some kinda disease. To me, it's sad to see people treating fat people like that. On the other hand, I think I kinda feel their reactions. I mean, I'm not trying to be a shallow head, but I can't eat well when I'm in a restaurant full of fat people. I'm afraid if I eat more, I would be like that. Eventually, I would end up leaving the restaurant with a stomach that is half full. Also, I feel tired when I see them walking. I've tried not to think this way, but I can't help it. Do you think I'm really shallow or you happen to share the same feelings? :(
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby honeylovely » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:24 pm

Hello.
This is an interesting topic, I think.
At first, I myself also thought like you about fat people. In reality, people sometimes treat them badly. If a thin girl and a fat one apply for the same position in a company, eventhough they have the same qualification, I am sure that the thin one will win. That's what happens in reality. Why? People usually think who are different than others always strange and abnormal. But I don't think so. Though those people are fat, but what they harm you with their fat? Nothing, right? The unfair attitude towards them is the prejudice that society puts on them and forces them into suffering.
My teacher is a very fat one but she is talent, charming and very very smart. Sometimes I think that she is so smart because she has much fat than us :D
She totally changed our attitude towards fat people. We just admire her only for what she had achieved in her life.
In brief, fat people also have their own values. Maybe we should change our attitude a little bit.
That's what I want to share. Thanks for reading. :D
Hope for hearing from you soon.
Have a nice day.
Bye
Honeylovely
honeylovely

Postby Danyet » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:39 pm

Fat people are bound for diabetes and heart disease to name a few. I would be wrong to treat them as if they were healthy and not try to encourage them to get into better condition.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:32 am

honeylovely wrote:In brief, fat people also have their own values. Maybe we should change our attitude a little bit.
That's what I want to share. Thanks for reading. :D
Hope for hearing from you soon.
Have a nice day.
Bye
Honeylovely

I know what you mean, honeylovely. Everyone should be treated well based on their own values and skills; however, don't you think it's a little bit hard to not having a prejudiced and judgemental thought about them? I meant, I don't mind a fat person with a good heart. They, in fact, are extremely nicer than some skinny people who also have tiny hearts. I, on the other hand, mind a fat person who is smart, though. If that person was smart to me, why would he/she treat the body like that....
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:33 am

danyet wrote:Fat people are bound for diabetes and heart disease to name a few. I would be wrong to treat them as if they were healthy and not try to encourage them to get into better condition.

I know exactly what you're talking about, dude.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: People don't take her serious because she's fat?

Postby moneymind » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I was watching E! last week, and there was a part the reporter was going around New York in two forms: a thin, athletic girl and a fat girl who would gnaw you like a juicy chicken leg if she couldn't have enough food. People checked her out, answered her questions, and some guys even flirted with her when she was in her thin self. However, when she was dressed as that fat girl, no one bothered to answer her questions or didn't take her questions serious. Some of them even tried not to look at her as like she was some kinda disease. To me, it's sad to see people treating fat people like that. On the other hand, I think I kinda feel their reactions. I mean, I'm not trying to be a shallow head, but I can't eat well when I'm in a restaurant full of fat people. I'm afraid if I eat more, I would be like that. Eventually, I would end up leaving the restaurant with a stomach that is half full. Also, I feel tired when I see them walking. I've tried not to think this way, but I can't help it. Do you think I'm really shallow or you happen to share the same feelings? :(

It is too sad to read your story since all of us will get fat soon or late. :)
moneymind

Re: People don't take her serious because she's fat?

Postby MissLT » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:29 pm

moneymind wrote: It is too sad to read your story since all of us will get fat soon or late. :)

Yeah, but when you're old and fat, no one cares since you're old, and when you get to old age, you tend to get fatter. When you're young and old, people tend to discriminate you based on the way you look.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby shokin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:03 pm

You can avoid becoming fat.

Better forsee than solve the problems.

We haven't to discriminate a person just because of any attribute (like "fat", "black", "man", etc.). Apparence is only apparence.

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby illusion » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:12 pm

I hate the fact that so many people (well, admit it, nearly everyone) judge someone by their look. I mean for me it really doesn't matter if the person is fat or thin. I do have a fat friend and she's a really lovely person. I know that fat people are bullied and discriminated against and I can't stop asking myself why? What's wrong with them? It's like now we discriminate the fat and next thing we'll be doing is discriminating the blind, the old, the homeless, the sick! How stupid is that? No one has right to judge people by the way the look. The physical appearance is only a covering layer for our souls... that's what I think. Besides I would never think I would get fat just by eating at the place full of fat people. Even if I were fat I would accept myself and tolerate it and other people should respect it...
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Anahita » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:20 pm

illusion wrote:I hate the fact that so many people (well, admit it, nearly everyone) judge someone by their look. I mean for me it really doesn't matter if the person is fat or thin. I do have a fat friend and she's a really lovely person. I know that fat people are bullied and discriminated against and I can't stop asking myself why? What's wrong with them? It's like now we discriminate the fat and next thing we'll be doing is discriminating the blind, the old, the homeless, the sick! How stupid is that? No one has right to judge people by the way the look. The physical appearance is only a covering layer for our souls... that's what I think. Besides I would never think I would get fat just by eating at the place full of fat people. Even if I were fat I would accept myself and tolerate it and other people should respect it...

very well said Illusion , iam 100% agree with you...

I know how much its painful to be targeted by a stupid people who dont have any idea that what has happened for you to make you like this. I am myself fat and its because of my years of illness and kidney problems , it doesnt matter how much i eat or how many times i go to gym ( infact i am eating much more lesser than ordinary people cause i should keep my diet and iam going to gym 4 times in the week) nothing is going to change at the end and i am still fat .. now imagine one narrow minded ass comes to me and starts to mocking and insulting me for my appreances !!! you know what iam going to do ? i will give him a slap across his face ! sorry i know this may sounds a rude and harsh responde but some people just deserves what they get .. and i am really tired of this bull sh*t .. so i wont hide my anger any more .. * shrugs *
Anahita
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions