EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

You do support funding a space program or protest it???

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

You do support funding a space program or protest it???

Postby harvester » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:23 pm

This afternoon my teacher gave my class a difficult topic for discussing. It's about high-tech. We divide into two group. One person from each group has to take notes. After discussing, one person from the group has to report to the class shortly the other's ideas. I really felt boring because I don't have any idea to discuss this topic. I will type all the content the topic for you to read.
Topic: "The space grogram is very expensive and not everyone agrees that the governmeent should spend so much money on this project." One group will do support fuding a space grogram and they have to list five fields of study not related to the space program that have benefited from space exploration. the other group will not support funding it. They have to think of at least five other high-tech projects that might be more worthwhile than the space program.
In Vietnam, we don't have any space program, so it's difficult for me to image how it is. I have known little discovery from different country by newspaper, television or radio. When my teacher give us time to discuss I just sat there and said nothing. How boring am I! If you have any ideas about this topic, please tell me. I will collect your idea to get more information about science, high-tech. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this!
harvester
Gold Member

Hello harvester

Postby honeylovely » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:07 pm

It's very nice to receive your message.
I will tell you my own thinking.
In my opinion I don't think it's a good idea to spend a large sum of money on that project. And besides it will need alot of people too. But the result is what? What can we find? I think it is great to discover new things but in this situation it's some how doesn't bring us any practical effect. But if we use that sum of money to help poor people who have nothing to eat, help children who have no condition to go to school.. it will be more practical, I think.
And another use of that sum of money instead of spending on space program is to put it in enviromental protection. That means we use it to provide lessons about the important role of environment, to plant more trees...
To sum up, there are alot of people can survive with that money. So think about human around us first before caring about space.
So, I just share my own feeling. If I have made any mistake, please let me know.
Harvester, are you online now?
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Bye
honeylovely

Postby Admiral » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:33 pm

On the earth everything is found now, and we also know that the ressources are limited.
So human being have to travel to other planets some day if they want their race to exist.
We could find new points of science on other planets, etc.

Very good idea!
Admiral

Postby harvester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Thanks for your idea! I think, the science achievement led to many new discoveries. It is very helpful for us to develop the country, it led to the modern life.
harvester
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:34 pm

I think we should. It's because studying the space you can also tell what's going on in the Earth. The information will help us to prevent any sudden changes of Earth such as something like earthquakes, Tsunamis, flooding, drought, etc.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:04 pm

Definately. :!: :!: We have so much to learn about our planet and others. In addition what a waste it would be to sit back now after we have spent so much money and time exploring to believe that there isn't more to learn. :idea:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Return to Ideas and Opinions