EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


How color can change your life

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

How color can change your life

Postby harvester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:06 am

I have learned some more interesting things at Reading class. Color can change your life. It influences on you and the other things. For Morton Walker, a health writer and an author of the book The Power of Color (Avery, 1990), gave some evidence: Pastel is the easiest color for the eye to process. Red color enhaces the appetite, it has been proven to be a stimulant that releases adrenaline, increases the pulse rate, raises blood pressure. In contrast, blue reduces appetite. Dark blue has historically been associated with power, responsibility and respectability.

It sounds interesting, doen't it? but I feel about different colors is influenced by the culture. In my culture white color is purity, blue is hope, black is bad luck, green is vitality, red is victory, and yellow is betray.
User avatar
harvester
Gold Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: Vietnam

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:27 am

Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby harvester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.


Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:
User avatar
harvester
Gold Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: Vietnam

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:29 pm

harvester wrote:
Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:

I don't get it either. I'm not allowed to wear white or black bandanas on my head is all I know. It's silly to me. :x
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Ika » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 pm

About wedding... in my country, traditionally the bride is in white dress, and the groom wears a dark suit, as for funeral, we all wear black clothes, to show our sorrow. Heh:) that's the question- why does the groom wears dark suit, usually black, for his wedding .... :))
But colours really are important. For example, yellow is a colour of intelligence, so it is a good idea to use yellow when decorating the classroom.
But as I see it, these two cases are quite different. When speaking about traditional clothes for weddings etc., it is about culture , traditions. The colour of the walls, curtains, and so on in different kinds of places, it is about phsychology. And it works. So, if you feel depressed, don't wear dark clothes, it will not help you get out of depression :wink:
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
User avatar
Ika
Silver Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:07 pm
Location: Latvia

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:45 pm

Ika wrote:About wedding... in my country, traditionally the bride is in white dress, and the groom wears a dark suit, as for funeral, we all wear black clothes, to show our sorrow. Heh:) that's the question- why does the groom wears dark suit, usually black, for his wedding .... :))
But colours really are important. For example, yellow is a colour of intelligence, so it is a good idea to use yellow when decorating the classroom.
But as I see it, these two cases are quite different. When speaking about traditional clothes for weddings etc., it is about culture , traditions. The colour of the walls, curtains, and so on in different kinds of places, it is about phsychology. And it works. So, if you feel depressed, don't wear dark clothes, it will not help you get out of depression :wink:

I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby hanami » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 am

LennyeTran wrote: I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:

yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.
happiness is something you can't foretell
hanami
Silver Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:02 am
Location: viet nam

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:10 am

hanami wrote:yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.

So yellow has the best and worst sides, eh? Since something we waste from our digestive and urinary systems :roll: ... well, I'm not going there. Just leave it as is. :lol: Anyway, what about pink?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:57 am

Hey, since we're talking about colors, do you think some certain colors should distinguishably be just for boys or girls? :? For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Dixie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:36 pm

LennyeTran wrote: For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!


Blue is for me! That's my favorite color :twisted: And I hate pink. So let's forget about stereotypes... :D
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests