EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


Traffic jam

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:43 am

Arale wrote:
They can take the tax from other fields like industry, business... to pay for public transports. Certainly, there should have a balance among all industries. Rich countries and good Governments can do this.

It's impossible. This is all I can tell you. What you said is a communist idea, and communist ideas never work.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Hardi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:38 am

well making public transport free reduces amount of cars, reducing amount of cars reducing the spend to repair/build new roads.. It's not enough but.. I think taxes for cars is good idea, because then peoples don't ride so much with cars.. and walking is also good for health.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: European Union
Status: Other

Postby shokin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:37 am

LennyeTran wrote:
shokin wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:But we need to. There are million of things we need to buy for our daily lives.


Tell me these very many things that we need.

There are many things that we can avoid, which are not necessary :

tv, video games, coca cola, hamburgers...

but the main idea is to take care about what you already have, for not having to buy new.

Shokin

You don't go shopping for food, clothes, accessories, etc? You are exaggerating your words with shopping again. You're making it seem like it's a crime for people to do it. For the love of God.....


I avoid much to buy things that I don't need.

Clothes are not useless.

One of my criteria in many contexts is the nature, you know.

Shokin
User avatar
shokin
Polished Diamond Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Location: Switzerland
Status: English Learner

Postby Arale » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:59 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
They can take the tax from other fields like industry, business... to pay for public transports. Certainly, there should have a balance among all industries. Rich countries and good Governments can do this.

It's impossible. This is all I can tell you. What you said is a communist idea, and communist ideas never work.


Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transports are impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_
User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Location: Vietnam
Status: English Learner

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transports are impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

For an example? :?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Shazzam » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:40 pm

There was a free bus service in Australia for many years (school buses) however in the last few years the government is charging a small amount if you live reasonably close to a school and you chose to use the bus (it is concessioned).

There are also rates in place for people that are on pensions (they get a reduced fare).

I think it would be impossible to offer everyone free public transport, the system would collapse and become quite dangerous. When you consider the maintenance costs involved in keeping the transport system going.

If people think public transport is too expensive that should keep tabs on what it is costing them to run a car. I would bet that public transport would be a lot cheaper. The thing is people want the convenience of their own vehicle, I don't think you could ever change that.
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Hardi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Anyway walking is not solution too, because peoples usually walk slower than cars and that populates streets over. So only way is using trains. build railroads everywhere... and also blow regular roads up..

Well I think there is no big different, communism or capitalism or what ever else, It's all same, because humans are same...
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: European Union
Status: Other

Postby Arale » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:45 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transport is impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

For an example? :?


In China, there's no ticket checker in public buses. Certainly, it's not free but the fine is quite cheap and anyone who uses the bus will automatically put money in a box in the bus. I think that's great! Pity there are still so few examples. :cry:
User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Location: Vietnam
Status: English Learner

Postby Shazzam » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am

Arale wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transport is impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

For an example? :?


In China, there's no ticket checker in public buses. Certainly, it's not free but the fine is quite cheap and anyone who uses the bus will automatically put money in a box in the bus. I think that's great! Pity there are still so few examples. :cry:


But how can you tell if someone has paid the correct money. It isn't fair that someone should have to pay more than another to travel :?: :idea:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby illusion » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:24 pm

thank goodness I live in a small town where there is no such thing as traffic jam. no traffic jam= no problem :D
User avatar
illusion
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Location: Poland
Status: English Learner

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests