EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Learning English

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby shokin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:17 am

When I have began learning english, it was because everyone had to learn english at college (gymnasium), when I was 14.

I did not think about games.

I think that learning several languages (and not only english) has some advantages :

- you have more information sources (nevertheless you have to keep your critical mind face to the mix of informations) for following news or for studying science or for any research.

- you can speak more directly with the people of each country.

- you contribute to preserve the diversity of cultures.

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Rui » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 am

when i started to learn english i guess it was only because it's the most important language in the world, and as shoking have said, with english it's more easy to find information and speak directly with people throughout the world... unfortunately i don't know all the languages that shokin knows, but i think it's because i'm not completely addicted to different languages as he is. :wink:
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby hatsumi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:17 am

My mother forced me to study English, so I started learning when I was 4. That time, I didn't even know my mother tongue so I hate English.

When I was in secondary, I studied in an English center in which there were many foreigners, I realized that talking with them in foreign language was very interesting. Since then, I loved English.
hatsumi

Postby Rui » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:53 am

what a peculiar and weird form of teaching english to a son.. well, i guess your mother was right about the importance of the english in your live, but obligate a child with 4 years old to learn english it's heavy, and a bit overpressure, thought
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby metaltoy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi,everyone.
I think it's not bad thing to start learning English from kids.
Children have a good ability to understand language more than adults.
I have a son.
He goes to a English conversation school once a week. He started it last year, now he is 3 years old.He likes the school and his teacher. The teacher teaches that studying English is fun.
I hope that he likes English and is interested in other countries, people and cultures.
metaltoy
Silver Member

Re: Learning English

Postby Golfygirl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:39 pm

awesome wrote:Hi there,
I have a quick question to ask all the English learners here...
When you first started learning English do you feel you would have benefited from games that you can play over the internet? The games would focus on areas such as vocab building for beginners (eg colours, animals and other misc. vocab), ordinals and other topics for learners who have been learning for a year or two and sentence structure.

What are you thoughts? What do you feel works for you?
What are you focusing your learning efforts on now? Please also include your age and what English level you're at.

Cheers,
Eli

I believe that is a great idea. I enjoy playing internet checkers. Sometimes, I wish there were other games to
play for free.

I discoverd the English Club crossword puzzles yesterday. I am planning on doing that. I need to improve my vocabulary. I have never been able to do crossword puzzles. The English Club crossword puzzles have different levels. Needless to say, I am a beginner level--in other words--easy. I need easy crossword puzzles. I like that the English Club crossword puzzle has a quick answer part to it. Sometimes I get frustrated when I can't figure out the answer.

Scrabble, might be a good internet game.
Golfygirl
Silver Member

Postby illusion » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:40 pm

I think that games are very instructive ways of learning but shame I am such a lazy bum and can never be bothered to play anything at all. Thank goodness I've learnt English as a little knowlege-wanting child...because if I was to start now, I'd probably give myself a break.. lol
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Return to Ideas and Opinions