EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What can you say about the kind of education nowadays?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What can you say about the kind of education nowadays?

Postby Mey » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:28 pm

I'm not intelligent but i think that some subjects in most schools are no longer responsive to the kinds of education this generation needs..Do you think im wrong or do you think i have a point?thnks
Mey
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm
Location: Philippines

Postby FIVER » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:05 pm

Which subjects are you talking about?

As for me... I don't think about school too often now since I'm out of it. I don't know anyone going to highschool, middle school or elementary school so I'm not familiar with the teachings anymore but I think that all subjects will be useful in the kids' futures some day, whatever they may be.
User avatar
FIVER
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 am
Location: WA, USA

Postby Rui » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 pm

i must say that i agree with you in some aspects, i guess we learned many things in school just because its important for someone to know that we are learning than because its truly important, i can think for example about the portuguese language in portugal, we spend all the time talking about things that portuguese writers have done and what they were thinking on that moment and why they write that sort of things, and in the end you can find many students in the uni without know how to write well in their own language, although they know many things about portuguese writers that have died hundreds of years ago.. come on, this is stupid :roll:
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Postby tangsen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:33 pm

FIVER wrote:Which subjects are you talking about?

As for me... I don't think about school too often now since I'm out of it. I don't know anyone going to highschool, middle school or elementary school so I'm not familiar with the teachings anymore but I think that all subjects will be useful in the kids' futures some day, whatever they may be.

yes, though some subjects really not useful in my daily life when i graduated from university (such as maths), but i confessed that i really thaks for the subjects that i loved, they not only give me the knowledge but also teach me how to become a useful man in society.
User avatar
tangsen
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am
Location: China

Postby FIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:06 am

tangsen wrote:yes, though some subjects really not useful in my daily life when i graduated from university (such as maths), but i confessed that i really thaks for the subjects that i loved, they not only give me the knowledge but also teach me how to become a useful man in society.


Same here. I really hated math but going to work after school and having to use it, I'm really grateful for them forcing it on us :lol: :wink: .
User avatar
FIVER
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 am
Location: WA, USA

Postby MissLT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:43 am

FIVER wrote:
tangsen wrote:yes, though some subjects really not useful in my daily life when i graduated from university (such as maths), but i confessed that i really thaks for the subjects that i loved, they not only give me the knowledge but also teach me how to become a useful man in society.


Same here. I really hated math but going to work after school and having to use it, I'm really grateful for them forcing it on us :lol: :wink: .

Count me in, too. I was glad to pass pre-calculus, and I then realized that it wasn't a requirement for my career. Talking about wasting a whole semester trying to pass that d*** class, which I didn't even need.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby FIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:21 am

LennyeTran wrote:Count me in, too. I was glad to pass pre-calculus, and I then realized that it wasn't a requirement for my career. Talking about wasting a whole semester trying to pass that d*** class, which I didn't even need.


Yeah, I took Trig and now I can't even remember what it is. All I remember was punching in numbers into the very expensive calculator I bought for that class. What waste of money! :cry:
User avatar
FIVER
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 am
Location: WA, USA

Postby MissLT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:31 am

FIVER wrote:
Yeah, I took Trig and now I can't even remember what it is. All I remember was punching in numbers into the very expensive calculator I bought for that class. What waste of money! :cry:

Ewwww... I hate Trig. It's one of the worst math. I was so da... happy when I passed the class with a B. I didn't even care that I would have gotten an A if I had put more time into it.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby FIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:35 am

LennyeTran wrote:Ewwww... I hate Trig. It's one of the worst math. I was so da... happy when I passed the class with a B. I didn't even care that I would have gotten an A if I had put more time into it.


That's good enough for me. :wink:
User avatar
FIVER
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 am
Location: WA, USA

Re: What can you say about the kind of education nowadays?

Postby FIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 am

Mey wrote:I'm not intelligent but i think that some subjects in most schools are no longer responsive to the kinds of education this generation needs..Do you think im wrong or do you think i have a point?thnks


Ok, do you think sex education is one of the subjects that should be taught in school :?: ? Or do our children not need that class nowadays anymore?

Personally I think they should keep it in but many poeple are asking for it to be removed. I think that's a very educational subject to teach our kids because some parents don't feel the need to talk to their children about it.
User avatar
FIVER
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:45 am
Location: WA, USA

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests