EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby jakeson » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:35 am

My country, the Philippines, is the only Catholic nation in Asia and the third largest Catholic nation in the world after Brazil and Mexico. There are some 70 million Catholics in the Philippines, and I’m blessed to be one of them.

It must be noted that in Sacrament of Reconciliation or popularly known as confession, it’s not the priest who forgives sins and DEFINITELY no collection is made for it. “What you held bound on earth shall be bound in heaven,” Jesus has spoken in the bible. This is the foundation of Catholic’s Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Catholicism and Christianity are inseparable. But it doesn’t always follow that when you are a Christian, you are Catholic. There are so many denominations in Christianity but all believing in Christ as God and Savior; thus, called Christian, followers of Christ.

It must be noted that icons and statues are not worshipped. They serve as a reminder, just like when you have a picture of your loved ones in your wallet. You are reminded that they are present; they exist and could serve as your inspiration.

We don’t worship Blessed Virgin Mary. We honor Mary for her “yes” to being the Mother of Jesus. We ask for her to intercede to our prayers.

Now, there’s a difference between veneration and worshipping. It must be noted.

The gist of all of these things is respect to what others believe. If you’re Islam, Buddhist, Protestant, go on with your faith. It’s not insulting or mocking what one believes to be his way to salvation. After all, religion is just but a guide to achieving the final destination, and that is to be in communion with his Creator.
jakeson
Silver Member

Postby Danyet » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Firstly, there is nothing written in the Bible that tells us to venerate anyone includung Mary, As a matter of a fact Mary is barely mentioned at all.

Secondly, there is nothing at all in the Bible mentioned about Mary acting as an intercessor for prayers. That is just plain looney! Where are you Bible quotes for that? Hmmm?

Thirdly, Whether or not you believe that priests can forgive sin doesn't change the fact that for centuries priests charged the people a fee for "Cofession".

If you did just a little research on your religion you would have found that catholicism is steeped in pagan roots and then perhaps begun your search for real truth.
If you knew just a fraction of lies spread and the atrocity caused by the Roman Catholic church you would find a better church unconnected with such despicable behaviour. It amazes me that this church has any members left at all, given the availability of the facts and knowlegde in general these days.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:09 pm

shigore wrote:I want to ask you one question?
did you read the holy koran?
I have read enough to know that the Koran is a boring fairytale for the simple minded and it's accompanying Hadith is for morons!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Pearl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:00 am

danyet wrote:
shigore wrote:I want to ask you one question?
did you read the holy koran?
I have read enough to know that the Koran is a boring fairytale for the simple minded and it's accompanying Hadith is for morons!

dear danyet,

you read holly koran on the website, and there a lot of them make own website and writting anything ...

better for you getting holly quran from ksa

bye
pearl
Pearl
Gold Member

Postby jakeson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:39 am

[quote="danyet"]Firstly, there is nothing written in the Bible that tells us to venerate anyone includung Mary, As a matter of a fact Mary is barely mentioned at all.

Secondly, there is nothing at all in the Bible mentioned about Mary acting as an intercessor for prayers. That is just plain looney! Where are you Bible quotes for that? Hmmm?

Thirdly, Whether or not you believe that priests can forgive sin doesn't change the fact that for centuries priests charged the people a fee for "Cofession".

If you did just a little research on your religion you would have found that catholicism is steeped in pagan roots and then perhaps begun your search for real truth.
If you knew just a fraction of lies spread and the atrocity caused by the Roman Catholic church you would find a better church unconnected with such despicable behaviour. It amazes me that this church has any members left at all, given the availability of the facts and knowlegde in general these days.[/quote]

I guess, I need not argue. If that's your opinion, let it be. You, coming from US, I'm not surprised. Religion is fading fast in that part of the world. It's a crime to hurt a dog, but it's legal to abort babies. I say sorry to some Americans, but that's the reality.

Go to the Philippines and experience how Catholicism is so much alive.

I need not do research to know the origin of my religion. I've learned so much in the seminary, pal. And nobody can shatter my faith, not even you.

Watch out, little knowledge is dangerous.

About Blessed Virgin Mary? I'm just very blessed to have that love for her.

Luke 1.46–55

Canticle of Mary

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.
jakeson
Silver Member

Postby Danyet » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 am

Your canticle of mary has nothing to do with Mary!

USA is probably more religious than Philipines, as most catholics do not even know what the Bible says because they have not studied it, you included. As a matter of fact you sound just as looney and brainwashed as the Muslims here on this forum. There is little difference between them and you. They refuse to do research too.

Do not think that you have Biblical knowledge just because you study in a seminary, particularly a catholic one.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:51 am

jakeson wrote:
I guess, I need not argue. If that's your opinion, let it be. You, coming from US, I'm not surprised. Religion is fading fast in that part of the world. It's a crime to hurt a dog, but it's legal to abort babies. I say sorry to some Americans, but that's the reality.

Religions are fading fast in most part of the world. This is why atheist population is growing (I'm not gonna argue about atheism since in my opinion there is no such thing).

Anyway, back to the topic, it's still really not legal for abortion. Bush Administration has been trying to ban it with little success, though. A woman has a right to do what's right for her body and condition. No government should interfere. Your example about dogs and fetuses are like apples and oranges, to me. I don't see the relation.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby jakeson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:21 am

[quote="danyet"]Your canticle of mary has nothing to do with Mary!

USA is probably more religious than Philipines, as most catholics do not even know what the Bible says because they have not studied it, you included. As a matter of fact you sound just as looney and brainwashed as the Muslims here on this forum. There is little difference between them and you. They refuse to do research too.

Do not think that you have Biblical knowledge just because you study in a seminary, particularly a catholic one.[/quote]

All right. All right. This is not a battle of who is smarter or who is dumber. Whatever you said, let it be.

I know myself, I know what I know, and I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.

And, oh, don't be misguided by just merely hearsay.
jakeson
Silver Member

Postby Danyet » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 am

jakeson wrote: I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.

Muslims know how deep their faith is too. So what does that really mean, nothing. You both can't be right, so having faith without knowledge is meaningless ....this is what the problem is in the world today.
Oh, and by the way, the Bible rather silent about abortion and ambiguous about when life begins so the catholic doctrine in abortion is just that....catholic doctrine. You have no right to judge people in America as being not very christian very over this issue.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby jakeson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 am

[quote="danyet"][quote="jakeson"] I know how deep my faith is and I need not prove you that.

[/quote]Muslims know how deep their faith is too. So what does that really mean, nothing. You both can't be right, so having faith without knowledge is meaningless ....this is what the problem is in the world today.
Oh, and by the way, the Bible rather silent about abortion and ambiguous about when life begins so the catholic doctrine in abortion is just that....catholic doctrine. You have no right to judge people in America as being not very christian very over this issue.[/quote]

Okay. Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

And by the way, don't be too over reacting on what others believe in. You have also no right to judge other's faith. The best and the greatest thing you can do is to respect them.
jakeson
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions