EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby andes » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:49 am

all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...
andes
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:39 am

andes wrote:all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...

Good for you.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby jeffcox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:53 am

Andes wrote:
all i know about bible is just:

Oh boy, you really need a bible to do that? The bible was written by a bunch of blokes. It's not a book, it's a collection of writings. These writings were chosen because someone happened to like those ones. The others were ignored because he didn't like those.

Consider the bible, you'd have to consider all of those writings. Exacly which bible are you reading that shows you the truth that that guy decided was the truth?

Interesting, uh?
jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby andes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:57 am

should be good for all..
andes
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:11 pm

andes wrote:should be good for all..

I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby jeffcox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm

LennyeTran Wrote: I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.

Is it enough just to believe in something? Many people commit atrocious acts because they believe in the reason.

Shouldn't we always question what we believe? Shouldn't we always challenge our own concepts and prejudice?

Recently, some research showed that what we 'believe' can affect our rationality and logical thought processes. When our brain is involved in belief or preference, the parts that control belief or preference become active, but so do the parts that control our emotions. So, our concepts, decisions and preferences are often blurred by our emotions. Remember Spock, the Vulcan, from Startreck; he was always complaining about this. Finally it has been proven by the use of cat scans.

So, read the Bible, by all means. But don't take it all on blind faith. Try to analyse it and criticize it as much as you can. Try to destroy its arguments. When you've tried really hard to do that and you still beleive in it, at least your belief is well founded on logical argument and not floating in the air.

Of course, it will still be 'faith' or 'belief', because there is no real proof presented to show that God exists. You will still be relying on 'belief' but you've tried to get as near to the truth as you can and be less prejudicial as you can. At least you're trying to leave the cave. (A reference to Plato, not an insult).
jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:53 am

Uh huh.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 am

I've read the Bible twice and I think it's a great book. It's full of wisdom.
Christians should always read the bible. If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense. They can't do anything to help them.
Anyway, it would be good if you knew more about it.
Although it seems like a huge and boring book, it is not.
Through it God wants to show us the right path to salvation. Actually it's very easy to receive it. God doesn't ask too much from us.
Too bad people nowadays think that they need to be good and do good deeds to get eternal life.
Anyhow, read the bible. It's cool. :)
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Lalee wrote: If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense.

wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Tora wrote:wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?

It doesn't matter if I'm young or old. It just bugs me when people follow others without knowing if what they're following is right or not.
For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions