EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

At what age should children be told about sex?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

Dixie wrote:If the kids turn into teens and don't ask their parents about sex, maybe it's the parents turn to step in and explain some things to their children. I think it's very important that parents and kids talk about EVERYTHING, and not leaving some topics aside. Kids should know that they can trust their parents and ask them anything.

I never asked my mom about this kinda stuff. For some weird reason I just never bought the "you were inside a flower, and your brother/sister was inside a clam when we took you home" story. I started to know the truth on my own through books and teen magazines. Strange that people I know have gone through the same track.

Last time, one of my friends told me she and her husband secretly "hid" pamphlets about sex and diseases in some places in the house that would get their daughter's attention. That was how they dealt with this kinda issue with their daughter. I think I'm gonna try this way on my kids in the future.

Dixie wrote:My parents never talked to us about sex. It was like a taboo thing. I remember when I was small and we were all watching a movie and there came a kissing scene, my dad would take the remote and change the channel. Nobody would say anything, which was even worse.

When Vanilla Sky was out in DVD, we rented the movie home to watch. The adults in our family were wondering what "kinda" movie we were watching when they saw the part Penelope was naked in bed with Tom Cruise. :lol: :lol: We had to remind them we were all over 18.

Dixie wrote:I would like them to be more open and try to talk to their kids about any subject. There should be no taboos in a family or a society.

I just hope my kids would not come to me and ask, "Mom, how did you make me?"
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:34 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I just hope my kids would not come to me and ask, "Mom, how did you make me?"

I think it's pretty normal if they do :D And you shouldn't be embarrassed to explain. It's something natural after all, so there should be no problems to talk about sex.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby saopalo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:47 am

Nowadays.children want to know what are sex>>>>Especially are students.And parents don't know that....And Sex maybe are popular in secondary school..IDEAS??
saopalo

Postby babara » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39 am

My parent never told me about this but I think you should tell children when they have understanding enough about it and control themself.
babara
Platinum Member

Postby Rui » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:48 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.

sorry but i must tell you that your position its a bit old fashion, my god... you are saying that you will avoid your kids whenever they try to talk about sex?! im surprised about that, specially coming from you, when i mean talk about sex im not saying that you should tell them where do you like to do it or how, but yes all the precautions they should play attention due to the huge number of problems they could have with the lack of information.
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:44 pm

Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.

sorry but i must tell you that your position its a bit old fashion, my god... you are saying that you will avoid your kids whenever they try to talk about sex?! im surprised about that, specially coming from you, when i mean talk about sex im not saying that you should tell them where do you like to do it or how, but yes all the precautions they should play attention due to the huge number of problems they could have with the lack of information.

Maybe I will change in the future, but right now my mind is set on no talk sex when my kids are not teenagers, and no sexual activities when they're not over 18.

If they're under 13 and wanted to know, they have the permission to wander through books. If they wanted to hear from me, I'm not gonna give them the answers they wanted. Instead, I'll make them understand the whole course of human body and STD's well. Then, they'll get to know what the heck is Kama Sutra when they're teens. :twisted:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: At what age should children be told about sex?

Postby sweethuman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am

I think now adays no need to tell them about sex, you can ask them about sex, they are all master trainers. :lol: :lol:
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Previous

Return to Ideas and Opinions