EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What things are unpolite in your country?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What things are unpolite in your country?

Postby marieqv » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

In Costa Rica my country is unpolite to ask an adult it age or how much he or she earns... and what about your country manners?
marieqv

Postby Hardi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 pm

urinate in public.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby marieqv » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 pm

here it is unpolite too but some people do it... :?
marieqv

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:08 am

To ask a lady's age (I don't know why! The other day someone asked me "You don't mind telling me your age, right? You're young".) I don't mind at all! :roll:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age (I don't know why! The other day someone asked me "You don't mind telling me your age, right? You're young".) I don't mind at all! :roll:

I think the question has more of a negative connotation because of the word "old." Or some people, like some old women I and my cousins have met, can be quite prejudiced towards you based on your age. Last time, I told some woman my age and she looked at me with a question of "why are you with him? You're just a kid!" My cousin told me she was talking to a woman and the conversation went really well. Then it came to the age part. The woman showed her disappointment and excused herself when she knew my cousin's age. :roll:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby (((Edu))) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:21 pm

I have the thiefs.
(((Edu)))
Gold Member

Postby marieqv » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:33 pm

Well asking the age can be something unpolite for some people in different cultures, but for me it is not a huge problem... anybody can ask me how old I am!
marieqv

Postby mamuta » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:29 am

Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age

In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm

mamuta wrote:
Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age

In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:

The US's or yours? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Vega » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm

mamuta wrote:In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:

What if I walk with my hand in a trousers? Is it unpolite too? :roll:
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions