EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

do you love your country?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

do you love your country?

Postby Annie » Sun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm

do you love your country? why?
Annie

Re: do you love your country?

Postby Seafarer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm

I am actually not sure about it. Sometimes i really hate the place where i have to live! I mostly I think about being a Dutch, German or a Swiss citizen:) Maybe three of them would be nice {-:

Honestly, I don't think that i can find any place except from my country where most of the rules are set to be broken:) This is sometimes nice. Also the food,, plenty of and great taste...God...I love my country's food!
Seafarer
Gold Member

Postby southrnpride » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:22 am

I love my country for many reasons.
The first that comes to mind is the land. I love the south and the beauty of the land. When I take drives through the country, I feel the history that's tied to it.
Second, I love the opportunities I have.
I know that in other places in the world, education is not free or not offered to women. I'm so grateful for the education that I've received. I can also, with hard work, reach almost any goal; I will not be kept back because I'm not rich or because I'm a woman.
Thirdly,
I love how I can go into town and get a burger, sushi, pad thai, tea, and millet within two miles of the town center. I love how my best friends are second generation Polish, second generation Pakistani, first generation Indian, first generation Korean, first generation Zimbabwean, first generation Mexican, and straight up American.

I'm not saying America is perfect, but there are counterbalances to all the negatives people hear all the time.
southrnpride
Silver Member

Postby droiyan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:43 am

I love my country with no reason.
On the land you are familiar and love, the people who families, friends, classmates, colleagues care you,
Protect you always. I don’t think I can be easy to forget or ignore.
How about you?
droiyan

Postby Tora » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 pm

No offence, I believe only stupid brutes or all-denying teenagers can hate their motherland.

don't ask what your country can do for you... {-;
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Neither love or hate.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby illinoisboy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Maybe I'm a brute, but there is no point in asking what my country, the USA, can do for me. The answer is nothing. Similarly, there is nothing that can be done to redirect the awful direction we're taking economically, or to make a dent in our cultural directions or inclinations. No point in trying. The only thing that can be done (worldwide) is to help other individuals, but certainly not for patriotic or religious reasons.
I have lived in Vietnam now for over a year. I am appalled by the lack of respect people show for each other. They push, they shove, they run into you, they run in front of you. They jump on a bus before other people get off. There are apparently no traffic laws. As someone said above, laws or rules here are just broken, just ignored. There is, as far as I can see, no social etiquette or grace.
There is a nice little restaurant maybe 25 paces from my front door in HCM City on Cao Thang. As I walked there today, on the right hand side of the street, on the sidewalk, a man on a motorcycle hit me from behind. Did he apologize or say anything? He sort of smiled like so sorry, too bad. ON THE SIDEWALK! You can't even walk here. You can't cross the street. Does anyone know what it means to yield? Do you have such a word in Vietnamese?
My girlfriend can only walk with a cane and can't stand up by herself. She has fallen down on the street, or off her three-wheeler, and people just passed her by. Would they do that in Singapore? In Chicago, my city? NO
I really can't stand it here any longer. People just expect others to be rude, and therefore they are rude themselves. "Do unto others .. only do it first."
Do I want to leave a country where there is no law (that is obeyed) for a country with too many laws? Tough question.
Maybe if the US were as overcrowded as Vietnam, we would all be hurrying and fighting for the same rice bowl as you seem to be doing here. People are after all just people. I know we would eventually degrade ourselves to such a level under such circumstances too.
As far as I can see, the main good thing about the US is there is room to move about, freedom of movement, fewer people, more space. Of course, you can breathe the air too. To me, the food is better too, regardless of what a commentator said above. More variety and safer. The TV is better too.
Vietnamese people under different circumstances are very nice. Once you leave your front door, though, you enter a jungle. I very much wanted Vietnam to be my country. I have so many wonderful Vietnamese friends. I guess I was naive enough to believe I could become Vietnamese myself.
illinoisboy

Postby illinoisboy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 am

I reviewed my last post and I think I made the unforgivable sin of criticizing someone else's country. They say that once you start talking about "these people" it is time to leave. After all, it is your country.
illinoisboy

Postby siny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:19 am

i love my country. i will leave my country and go for another which seem to be better than mine. However, i don't think i will lose my love to my country. there are so many reasons that i consider it as a great country. First of all , it is a country with a long history. beautiful scene and friendly people. Secondly, it is not as what it is been described as foreign mediate, it is a good place.

Nothing can change my mind of loving my country.
siny

Postby Alvinho » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm Brazilian and in my country natural resources are abundant, but are running out rapidly......full of stunning landscapes but are being destroyed......rather diverse considering race mixture and culture.....actually I dislike carnival, but like southern folklore...but many Brazilians are worthless: politicians and civil servants, for instance...we pay their high wage with unfair high taxes and in return we're given a bad assistance by them.....in fact, people have witnessed a harsh corruption process but don't hit the streets to protest though.....as for violence, it has spread like cancer and is utterly difficult to curb it.....our law system is outdated and favours only the wealthy as well....education system is being undermined by a silly policy adopted by the current government. Sadly teachers earn a low wage and face the prospect of being punched and even killed by a bunch of thugs and druggies.

Therefore, my country itself could be in its better days if there weren't people who are unfit for ruling it.

Saying the truth, I have no good expectations for my country.....that's why many Brazilians are dying to leave it.
No language is useless.......whoever finds any language useless just has an empty and....useless brain.
Alvinho

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions