EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby polish » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

I use to learn words described here already: I get to know a new word, write it on a small piece of paper and put or I stick in a place where I see frequently (the mirror over the stove, the computer screen) and I peek at it every time I go there . (I am a visual learner). The word sticks in my memory permanently :)
polish

Postby javasen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 pm

My way to enrich the vocabulary of English is so:
I am searching in the dictionary for example names of animals, I am repeating them - and then on the the sheet I am writing out from the memory the most names of animals, as many I will remember. The same I am dealing with names of plants, of colours etc.

The other my way is very simple: I am making the list of English words and their equivalents in my language (Polish). Then I am covering the English part and I am writing out English words, I am checking - and this way to the effect, as far as I will write out all English words correctly.

Presumably these are trivial methods, but for me it works. :)
javasen

Postby tadkoks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 pm

For me an excellent way for the learning of words are songs - namely I have a lot of favourite songs, but so far I didn't know texts, because I wasn't good at English. Now I am printing the text of my favourite song, I am listening to it and I am singing with the vocalist, looking at words. Then I am hiding the sheet and I am trying to give a fluent answer at the memory. If I forget words - I am looking at the sheet. Then I can already sing without the sheet and I can see words in my imagination, what I am singing.
tadkoks

Previous

Return to Vocabulary Help