EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What "I would die, and do the dishes" means ?

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: What "I would die, and do the dishes" means ?

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:15 am

I don't know Hellboy but it sounds as though Hellboy likes Liz so much that he would give his life for her (die for her)...but he's not so sure that he wants to do the dishes (wash up, do housework etc). Abe apparently likes Liz more than Hellboy does because he would give his life AND do the dishes.
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Postby jamesbaquet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:54 am

Hellboy thinks of himself as a hero. He likes to do things BIG. He would die to prove he loves Liz.

But she wants him to be thoughtful and considerate. That means doing little things, too. (Anyone can tell you: the success or failure of a relationship lies in how well one does the little things.)

So Hellboy is sort of complaining that he would die for her, but she wants him to do boring things. And Abe, who has no one (at that point), says that if he had a girl like Liz, he would do the big things AND the little things.
jamesbaquet

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:47 am

Do the dishes = washing the plates and silverware and stuff... was that your question?
Tom
Silver Member

Return to Vocabulary Help