EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Idioms using colours

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Idioms using colours

Postby koki » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello every body!
This is my frist topic i post here, and i hope if you like it and get benifit.

Blue
feeling blue = feeling unhappy: "What's the matter with you? Feeling blue?"
out of the blue = completely unexpected: "I sent off my application to the company, but heard nothing. Then completely out of the blue they sent me a letter."

Red
see red = become extremely angry: "When people are cruel to animals, it really makes me see red."
a red letter day = a day of great importance: "It's a red letter day tomorrow in the company. It's our fiftieth birthday!"
paint the town red = celebrate: "They went out last night and really painted the town red - they didn't come home until 5 a.m."
in the red = overdrawn: "It's the end of the month and we're in the red again. We have to control our spending better."
like a red rag to a bull = likely to make someone angry: "Don't talk to him about politics - it's like a red rag to a bull."
red tape = bureaucratic paperwork: "You have to cut through a lot of red tape to get proposals accepted in this company."
red carpet treatment = treat someone with great respect: "When we visit our offices in Asia, we get the red carpet treatment."

Green
get the green light = get approval to start something: "We've finally got the green light to start research on the new product." :mrgreen:
green fingers = be a good gardener: "Everything grows in her garden. She definitely has green fingers."
green-belt area = an area of protected land surrounding a town or city: "The green-belt area around London is disappearing fast."
green politics = environmental politics: "He's in green politics and often campaigns to fight pollution."

Black
black market = illegal trade: "You can change dollars for a much higher rate on the black market."
black economy = a part of the economy unregulated by the authorities: "He doesn't pay any taxes and thinks that the black economy will make him rich." (He's working on the black.)
give someone a black look = look at someone as if you are angry: "Why is he giving me such a black look?" :evil:
on the black list = be on a list of "undesirables": "We won't be invited to their party this year - we're on their black list."
blacklisted = be banned: "Many actors and writers were blacklisted in Hollywood in the 1950's because they were considered "un-American."
in black and white = be extremely clear: "This contract is in black and white: we aren't allowed to keep any pets in this house."
black spot = a dangerous spot: "his roundabout is a black spot for traffic accidents."
black and blue = be badly bruised: "When she fell off her bicycle, she was black and blue for days."

White
white Christmas = when it snows at Christmas: "There hasn't been a white Christmas here since 1983."
whitewash = cover up the truth: "I don't believe his story. I think it's all a whitewash."

Grey
a grey area = something which is not definite: "I think genetic engineering is a bit of a grey area."
grey matter = your brain: "Doing crossword puzzles tests your grey matter :idea:

Best regards!
koki

Re: Idioms using colours

Postby DanielEdwards » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 am

These are really great idioms. I heard many of them before but you try to submit all at a place. Thanks for posting.
Term Paper Help | Essay
DanielEdwards

Postby koki » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 pm

pretty wrote:it is very beneficial topic

thank u so much

hi pretty, thanks for taking some of your time reading and passing by my thread {-:

i hope u get benifit as much as u can ;-)

now it's time to enjoy and colour your speech using idioms of colour hhh :mrgreen:
koki

Postby koki » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:10 pm

DanielEdwards wrote:These are really great idioms. I heard many of them before but you try to submit all at a place. Thanks for posting.
Term Paper Help | Essay

hi Dani,

Great and bravoo that u know most of those idioms. ;-)
that's a little i have to submit :oops:
thanks for taking time reading and passing by my new thread

Have a nice speech using colors! hhh :mrgreen:
koki

Postby koki » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Shokry wrote:Wow! It's really interesting!
Thanx 4 such a post..
Regards,
Shokry

thanks for reading my post and your passing by
Have a nice day colouring your speech hh

Regards
koki

Postby keenlearner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 am

Thak you my dear!

It is fruitful!!!! I like them very much
God bless you
:lol:

keen learner :-)
keenlearner

Postby koki » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:40 am

keenlearner wrote:Thak you my dear!

It is fruitful!!!! I like them very much
God bless you
:loool

hey,
I got honour for your passing by & pleasure that u like it :-P
God less u too
Have an awesome day with colorful speech ;-)

Kind regards
koki

Postby koki » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 am

britishfever wrote:amazing work boy, but just 1 thing u missed .. IN THE BLACK -- the opposite of IN THE RED - meaning owing nothing, not financially indebted to anyone.... thanks

hey sweetie, by the way i'm not a boy but a sweet girl loool
anyhow thanks sweetie for your addition, realy i get benifit and pleasure
and certaily i'm willing of any other aditions or comments

Thanks again for keeping in touch
Have a colourful day ;-)
koki

Postby koki » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:19 am

Denise wrote:nice post! thanks for your sharing on these idioms, i found it really useful! :)

hey Denci, nice passing!
thanks dear for keeping in touch.
i'm delighted that u like it:)

gracyu wrote:These are really great idioms. I appreciate you for this kind of unique help. You obviously have a very good understanding of English idioms, as many of these are quite difficult yet you have their definitions and usage absolutely perfect. Well done

Hey gracyu, I appreciate you too for your nice reply and compliments...
that's too much... i'm only a little & a humble student seeking for the ultimate of the language...
Indeed you blush me :oops:
thanks again for your nice comment
Have a colorful day! :mrgreen:
koki

Return to Vocabulary Help