EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

lingual or language

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

lingual or language

Postby Elenita » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi.
Is it possible to use the word lingual to define something related to language? For example, Lingual University or Lingual Support Department.
Thank you.
Elenita

Re: lingual or language

Postby Josef » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Elenita wrote:Is it possible to use the word lingual to define something related to language?

That is the very definition of "lingual".
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Postby dichanana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Elenita,

Lingual literally means "of or relating to tongue." There is also linguistic, which means relating to languages.

That said, your actual choice will also depend on convention - for instance you usually call university departments "department of languages" or "linguistics department." I've never really seen anyone use "lingual" in favor of "linguistic."
dichanana

Postby Josef » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 am

dichanana wrote:Lingual literally means "of or relating to tongue." There is also linguistic, which means relating to languages.

I agree with dichanana. Lingual does mean "of or relating to the tongue"; but it also means "of or relating to language or linguistics". Both lingual and linguistic derive from the Latin "lingua" meaning "tongue" and "speech".
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lingual

dichanana wrote:That said, your actual choice will also depend on convention - for instance you usually call university departments "department of languages" or "linguistics department." I've never really seen anyone use "lingual" in favor of "linguistic."

I suspect that Lingual Institute (albeit a business) would have something to say about that :mrgreen: http://www.lingualinstitute.com/
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Return to Vocabulary Help