duct tape

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

DmitryL

duct tape

Post by DmitryL »

Hello!
I know what it is, but why is it 'duct'? As I understand 'duct' mainly means a tube, a capillar etc.
Thanks,
Dmitry
rapatitu

Re: duct tape

Post by rapatitu »

There's no good reason. Some etymologists (people who study words and their history) think it is a corruption of 'duck' tape.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

The term "duct tape" originates from the 1970's when it was originally used in repairing leaks in ventilation and heating system ducts. (Source: Apple Dictionary)
Resuem

Post by Resuem »

The origin is--as I understand it--is that the U.S. used amphibious vehicles (vehicles that could propel themselves on dry surfaces as well as -in the water) during World War II. These vehicles were nicknamed "ducks" because of their amphibious qualities. The tape that was used to repair these vehicles, thereby came to be called, "duck tape".

In Wisconsin, U.S.A 'ducks' are used to transport people from place to place in the Wisconsin Dells area. In a recent year, they were used to help in the case of a nearby major flood caused by failure of the dam (due to 'mother-nature' flood-waters) at a man-made lake.

I'm not at all sure the tape is currently marketed in the U.S. (if elsewhere) as Duct Tape.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »