EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Writing

From academic writing to resumes and cover letters

Moderator: EC

Tips for Writing

Postby Pirate » Sun May 23, 2004 10:53 pm

Hello everyone,

This is one part of the series "Tips for learning English". The series is today created in the sake of collecting and assembling tips which come from English learners. Post your own tips which really work :!: Other members can learn from them, and if necessary we could discuss :idea:

You are in the WRITING section 8) .

"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will certainly misunderstand them."
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

English Writing lessons: http://www.englishclub.com/writing/
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby hurricane_sh » Mon May 31, 2004 12:16 am

Can't agree more, simple is the best!
hurricane_sh

Postby Ms.A.Z » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:15 pm

hello all

i will be really glad if some one give me tips to improve my english writting and spelling...i can say what ever i want but i cant write every thing i want...i dont have a single clue how to help my self....so if any one can help i will be happy ..
Ms.A.Z
Platinum Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:07 am

I think translation is a good way of learning how to write perfectly.

Where can we find good English passages and texts? Many sources are around! Personally I recommend newspapers and magazines. Most articles there are perfect in English writing.

First you choose an interesting article, then translate it into your language. Second, make a translation back into English and compare! This will take time but I guess what you obtain is not just better writing :!:

You can speak well about a lot of things, but you are still not pleased with your writing, why? Because you were not really writing! You were simply typing out your thinking! I think you are a bit easy to yourself in writing, and that's why you often miss following some certain writing rules:

1- You don't start your sentences with Capital Letters.
2- You often end your sentences with "...". :?:
3- Many of your posts here are not very well-organized. You write many things but you didn't devide them into passages, so the readers might jump or skip your writing.
4- You forgot to check your writing after you had finished, so I still see mistakes of spelling in your posts.

Overall, writing is not like speaking when you can spontaneously learn by practising. In writing you need to learn by looking back at your practice and promise to yourself that you won't make these mistakes again. Teachers will surely help you point out the mistakes in your writing!

In this LEARNING ENGLISH forum, you can find a topic about writing IELTS topics (drowning somewhere below though), you can search for the topics, then post there for everyone to know and you yourself write one!

And my last word now is that if you have good tips, please post up and discuss to help others learn actually.

Best wishes,
Pirate
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Ms.A.Z » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:00 pm

hi pirate thanks for your reply

You can speak well about a lot of things, but you are still not pleased with your writing, why? Because you were not really writing! You were simply typing out your thinking! I think you are a bit easy to yourself in writing, and that's why you often miss following some certain writing rules:

1- You don't start your sentences with Capital Letters. i know that but i dont

2- You often end your sentences with "...". its my writting style but i think its need to be changed
[

b]3-[/b] Many of your posts here are not very well-organized. You write many things but you didn't devide them into passages, so the readers might jump or skip your writing.
ur right i dont know but i dont write long topics so that readers have to jump

4- You forgot to check your writing after you had finished, so I still see mistakes of spelling in your posts. If i type fast then yes i do mistakes but not always..but over my spelling is weak and for that only i need help
Ms.A.Z
Platinum Member

Postby Ms.A.Z » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:27 pm

HI

I know writting rules but i don't follow them always. I know when to use capital letters and where. I don't know how to organize my ideas. I write in my own style (using u for you , ur for you are, messg for message and so on). I am not writing a report or any formal document so that I have to follow standard english writing rules in each and every post I make.I just express my ideas but if you think those things are important then i will keep them in mind when I write again.

What i wanted is a help to improve my spelling so that i won't make any mistakes while I write again. I want to know how each sound in english is written and why it's written like that. I want to know the logic so that i don't have to memorize how to write a praticular word in a particular way. I asked my teachers to help me but no one did.

If you can see I used some writing rules in this message.
Ms.A.Z
Platinum Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:46 pm

If you think you can deal well with your formal documents, so feel free to write with your style.

Good luck with your spelling, English is crazy enough to have much exception! For examples you can read my post-poem in Tips for Pronounciation.
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Pirate » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:56 pm

generosity for example.

Hey,

It's a frequently asked question from learners. As I know there are only teachers willing to do this, and there is no system can manage with the desire from hundreds/thousands of students.

So that is one of the reasons why we are trying to build effective forums for English learners. This is the place where learners can help other learners and by that way improve their own English.

It seems that the forums are not fascinating enough and the members don't like that way of learning. Why don't you try, at least for once, find mistakes in others' writing together with reading perfect writing (from English books, newspapers and magazines) to develop your writing skill other than waiting for others to correct you?

Best wishes,
Pirate
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Ms.A.Z wrote:
What i wanted is a help to improve my spelling so that i won't make any mistakes while I write again. I want to know how each sound in english is written and why it's written like that. I want to know the logic so that i don't have to memorize how to write a praticular word in a particular way. I asked my teachers to help me but no one did.

If you can see I used some writing rules in this message.

What about typing your piece of writing using MS Word first then copy and paste here??? That way you can use spelling and grammar check; however, you should proofread your own writing yourself at the end, though. It's because computers sometimes can mix-up homonym words, which you don't want it to happen. It's the best way to improve your writing style and spelling vocabulary-- try to find your own mistakes in your own writings and correct them based on your knowledge.
Also, try to find incorrect spelled words in others' posts. Tell them to correct those mistakes or not is your choice, but practice to see mistakes in writing can help you a lot. Good luck. :wink:

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:26 pm

Ms.A.Z wrote:HI

I know writting rules but i don't follow them always. I know when to use capital letters and where. I don't know how to organize my ideas. I write in my own style (using u for you , ur for you are, messg for message and so on). I am not writing a report or any formal document so that I have to follow standard english writing rules in each and every post I make.I just express my ideas but if you think those things are important then i will keep them in mind when I write again.

Try to write in proper writing style as much as possile. It's because you're not English native so the more you practice something is not self-borne, the better you'll be. As you know, there are many formal styles of writing, so use them wisely. Who knows, you might end up writing a book or something, right? :wink:

Next

Return to Writing Help