EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Name of book and quoted texts

From academic writing to resumes and cover letters

Moderator: EC

Name of book and quoted texts

Postby kitty » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 pm

when i mention the name of a book, and the text i quoted from as well, in a text, should i write the name of the book in italics and insert the text i quoted between two inverted commas? or what is the correct way of such writing?
kitty

Re: Name of book and quoted texts

Postby Josef » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:05 am

Yes, you are right. Quotes go in quotation marks. Titles (of books, poems, plays - and also ships) are italicized, for example:

The famous line "To be, or not to be, that is the question..." comes from the play Hamlet.

If you are using handwriting (or perhaps a typewriter that does not have italics), underlining is another traditional way of expressing titles, for example:

The famous line "To be, or not to be, that is the question..." comes from the play Hamlet.

Another way to express a title if you do not have italics or underlining is with quotation marks, for example:

The famous line "To be, or not to be, that is the question..." comes from the play "Hamlet".

Whether to use double or single quotation marks is a question of style. I personally recommend double quotation marks as a rule (because there is less confusion with apostrophes, for example in "it's" or "she's"). See more about double quotation marks and single quotation marks.
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Return to Writing Help