EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Should you capitalize solar system?

From academic writing to resumes and cover letters

Moderator: EC

Should you capitalize solar system?

Postby fergal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

Hi everyone,

I am trying to write a sentence involving the words 'solar system', as in the phrase 'the planets in the solar system' and I am not sure whether it should be capitalized or not.

On the internet there seems to be much disagreement over whether solar system counts as a proper noun or not, and therefore should be capitalized. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help.
fergal

Re: Should you capitalize solar system?

Postby apfelsine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi
In my dictionary 'solar system' is not capitalized.
Please refer to your dictionary for more info
apfelsine

Re: Should you capitalize solar system?

Postby Armando » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:30 am

fergal wrote:Hi everyone,

I am trying to write a sentence involving the words 'solar system', as in the phrase 'the planets in the solar system' and I am not sure whether it should be capitalized or not.

On the internet there seems to be much disagreement over whether solar system counts as a proper noun or not, and therefore should be capitalized. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

You can and you can't.. Following English rules you must not capitalize but if you do that it is still not wrong.
Armando

Return to Writing Help