EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

write about your tradition/culture

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderators: Vega, EC

write about your tradition/culture

Postby Lilian » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:26 am

so fas as this is an ESL forum , so, this is an international forum. most of people are here from different country/tradition or culture.
i am very interested to know..what culture are you and write something about your culture. it can be anything.

I am from bangladesh. My native language is Bangla. Our traditional dress is Shari. there are 90% people of our country are muslim, 5%hindu,3%christian,and 2% are budhist.

ok i will write more about my culture later...

plz folks continue..
English is my second language
Lilian
Gold Member

Postby RedRose » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:07 am

in china, the traditional costume of woman is QiPao, which is a kind of simple skirt without sleeves. newadays, you can see this kind of costume in lots of beauty contests. why do women in beauty contests love QiPao? I guess, that is just because QiPao can make women look great and attractive. If a woman is in a great shape, then QiPao is very suitable to her, but if a woman are overweight, then QiPao will make her look terrible! :wink: many chinese girls wear red QiPao at the day when they get married, oh, the red QiPao will make her look outstanding among people.
RedRose

Postby Dixie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:34 pm

I live in Catalunya, which is a region of Spain (unfortunately for us). We have our own customs, language, history and culture, which we share with other parts of Spain such as País Valencià, Balearic Islands and some parts of the Spanish community of Aragon; besides Andorra, which is a small country in the Pyrenees where Catalan is the official language.

But, despite having our own little country inside the Spanish State, we are not free, since we officially belong to Spain. The Spanish government never took our language into consideration. The same happened with the other minor languages inside the State: Galician (spoken in Galicia) and Basque (Basque Country original language). During the 20th century, dictator Franco wanted these languages to disappear. People who were caught in the street speaking Catalan were imprisoned, or even killed.

Catalan is spoken by nearly 10 million people. However, the European Union doesn't want to consider it as an official European language.

Here are some maps of Catalunya in case you're interested: http://www.xtec.es/~aguiu1/imatges/004/p1.htm
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Aiza » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:00 pm

All that Dixie describes is the same for the Basque Country. Part of our territory is in the state of France and part is in the state of Spain. So people here talks french, spanish and/or basque.
Basque is one of the ancients languages in Europa. But, as french and spanish are very strong languages and basque is not , it is posible than in few generations our language die.
Aiza

Postby Lilian » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:41 am

Dixie wrote:I live in Catalunya, which is a region of Spain (unfortunately for us). We have our own customs, language, history and culture, which we share with other parts of Spain such as País Valencià, Balearic Islands and some parts of the Spanish community of Aragon; besides Andorra, which is a small country in the Pyrenees where Catalan is the official language.

But, despite having our own little country inside the Spanish State, we are not free, since we officially belong to Spain. The Spanish government never took our language into consideration. The same happened with the other minor languages inside the State: Galician (spoken in Galicia) and Basque (Basque Country original language). During the 20th century, dictator Franco wanted these languages to disappear. People who were caught in the street speaking Catalan were imprisoned, or even killed.

Catalan is spoken by nearly 10 million people. However, the European Union doesn't want to consider it as an official European language.

Here are some maps of Catalunya in case you're interested: http://www.xtec.es/~aguiu1/imatges/004/p1.htm

very interesting. we had fight with pakistan just for this reason. in 1971 they wanted us to speak their language and we didnt want to. so we had fight for out language, and died many people for that. then after we became east india and they became west. now Bangla is our official language, no one can take it , and force us to speak any other language.
Lilian
Gold Member

Postby Lilian » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:43 am

RedRose wrote:in china, the traditional costume of woman is QiPao, which is a kind of simple skirt without sleeves. newadays, you can see this kind of costume in lots of beauty contests. why do women in beauty contests love QiPao? I guess, that is just because QiPao can make women look great and attractive. If a woman is in a great shape, then QiPao is very suitable to her, but if a woman are overweight, then QiPao will make her look terrible! :wink: many chinese girls wear red QiPao at the day when they get married, oh, the red QiPao will make her look outstanding among people.

that is kool rose, i always wanted to buy chiense costume. it looks very artistic than any other costume all over the world. surely i will buy one. lolz..
Lilian
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:58 am

So what's the typical food in your country?

In Catalunya, we have a variety of typical food that everybody in South Europe knows, hahahaha.

For instance, "pa amb tomata", which literally means "bread with tomato". We take a large slice of bread, rub a sliced tomato on it; then add some olive oil; and we eat it along with a piece of cured leg ham. That's DELICIOUS!

"Botifarra" is also typical of Catalunya. It's a spicy sausage made of lead pork. But I think "botifarra" is more typical in the northern part of Catalunya. I'm from the South 8)

In the South, rice is very popular. I live near a river and its delta (Ebro river), and there are lots of ricefields here. By the way, I think there's rice for lunch today! :lol:

And, of course, seafood is the most typical food in my town, as I live by the sea and fishing is one of the main jobs here. Every weekend, my town is visited by hundreds of tourists from all over, who come attracted by the popularity of our seafood.

And finally... just for you to know... I DON'T LIKE SEAFOOD :D My dad always makes fun of me because of that :x Everybody in my family LOVES it, but I don't :oops:
Dixie

Postby Aiza » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:55 pm

One of the typical food in the Basque Contry is the "marmitako". This is a cooked dish made with tuna and potatoes. It is typical because it was (and it is) the food that fishermen ate in ships while the tuna season (this is summer)
Aiza

Postby RedRose » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:10 am

and in China,there are various kinds of foods here. and they have different styles from one another. on the whole, there are less calories and more fruits in chinese cooking, I guess that is why most of Asian people look slim and delicate :lol:
RedRose

Postby Lilian » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:02 pm

our national food is rice and Daal...
Lilian
Gold Member

Next

Return to Creative Writing