how to read a artwork? (willing to perticipate ITP)

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

how to read a artwork? (willing to perticipate ITP)

Post by Lilian »

this post are for the poeple who are willing to perticipate in improve your thinking process topic.

http://members.englishclub.com/clubhous ... php?t=1033

I am trying to post some easy step to read a painting. i know there are many ppl out there who like painting but dont know how to analyze it. beside art is so fasinating subject that it can directly focus about life and perspective. even thoug we think its very critical but its fun to know about some ones perspective..

do you agree?

ITP means= improve your thinking process.

how to read a art?

The "reading" process is divided into four steps: 1. Description 2. Analysis 3. Interpretation and 4. Judgment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Description

What is the name of the artist who created the artwork?
What kind of an artwork is it?
What is the name of the artwork?
When was this artwork created?
Name some other major events in history that occurred at the same time this artwork was created.
List the literal objects in the painting (trees, people, animals, mountains, rivers, etc.).
Consider the significant art elements that are present in this artwork and describe them:
LINE TEXTURE
SHAPE COLOR
FORM VALUE
SPACE PATTERN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2 - Analysis

In this step consider the most significant art principles that were used in the artwork.
Describe how the artist used them to organize the elements.

BALANCE CONTRAST EMPHASIS
HARMONY VARIETY UNITY
GRADATION MOVEMENT RHYTHM
PROPORTION DEPTH COMPOSITION

Step 3 - Interpretation

Based on what you have learned so far about the artwork, what do you think the artist was trying to say?
Why did the artist create this artwork? What do you think it means? What feelings do you have when looking at this artwork? Do you think there are things in the artwork that represent other things - symbols?

Step 4 - Judgment

Do you like this artwork? Do you think it is a good artwork? Do think it is an important artwork? Would display this artwork in your home? Is this artwork good enough to put in a museum?

Justify your opinion. Explain why you feel the way you do about this artwork based on what you have learned about it.

English is my second language
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Brilliant! Excellent! That way, we can learn a lot not only about art but also about history. Thank you, Lilian! you're the best!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

Great, I had a lesson !
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Thanks ,lilian, I hope that the essay will be helpful of me to judge a painting.
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

i hope so too.. 8)
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

dear lilian, I have read the essays many times, however, I still don't know how to read an artwork. I lack some art cells in my brain :wink:
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

coz ur not thinking deeply and not observing carefully. u dont have to find the exact thing in a painting. what u think about the color, texture and the image.

someday u will discover that ur the best in art anylyzing.

think, observe and judge.
its that easy.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I wish! I am waiting! :wink:

anyhow, I will comment your paintings forever, no matter how bad my thinking ability is :wink:
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

RedRose wrote:I wish! I am waiting! :wink:

anyhow, I will comment your paintings forever, no matter how bad my thinking ability is :wink:
then i will say try to comment carefully. coz i really want u to understand the art. :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Looks like it's the 3 of us here now, ladies. Lilian, why don't you join us on MSN? ;)
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

now the forum is so sexy and pretty! that is just because 3 ladies are here!
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

Dixie wrote:Looks like it's the 3 of us here now, ladies. Lilian, why don't you join us on MSN? ;)
i am at college now in library, we can use msn from here :cry:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

:(:(:(

I used to go to my college library and use the computers there, too, hahaha
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

yes! the pc and internet of college is free :lol: thanks, lilian's college!