STEREOTYPES

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Francisca

STEREOTYPES

Post by Francisca »

The most dangerous stereotypes for human beings is thinking that we are better than others. I think that we must not underestimate the ability, personality and attitudes of anyone. I believe in equality of opportunities because all human beings are born equal.
Nevertheless, I think that Intolerance is another dangerous stereotype for human beings. The lack of tolerance is in a way to think that we are better than others.
Intolerance is responsible for adopting authority and condemning human behaviour.
When we are intolerant, we deny the existence of religion, culture or ethnics minorities. This stereotype does not deny the existence of others, however it minimizes, degrades and humiliates others, and all this makes people feel excluded or discriminated against.
WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT IT? WHAT IS THE WORST STEREOTYPE IN THE WORLD?
I want to know people learning english like me...I want to share some mistakes that I have on that Language and learn about others
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

science doesnt believe in religion so, do u think its kinda steriotype?
English is my second language
ayie
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ayie »

I believe that the worst stereotyping would be that of the race... especially to us (others who are also in this forum) Filipinos. Many negatives have been said about us in the past and even to this day. The word FILIPINA even came out of one of the English dictionaries as pertaining to domestic helpers. Imagine that being published to the world... That isn't even close to what a Filipina really is... but yes, some work as domestic helpers but not entirely. A Filipina is basically a female native of the Philippines and a lot more...
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

ayie wrote:I believe that the worst stereotyping would be that of the race... especially to us (others who are also in this forum) Filipinos. Many negatives have been said about us in the past and even to this day. The word FILIPINA even came out of one of the English dictionaries as pertaining to domestic helpers. Imagine that being published to the world... That isn't even close to what a Filipina really is... but yes, some work as domestic helpers but not entirely. A Filipina is basically a female native of the Philippines and a lot more...
yup! TOTALLY agree with you ayie!!! so unfair of them!!!
pulling others down! so what do they think of themselves?!?! feeling superior and everything!!! grrr.... that's what we call racial discrimation. one more thing... they are being welcomed here whole heartedly while some of 'em treated our fellow citizens like 'they are nothing but moron'. so, what are they?!?! huh?!?! huh?!?! huhu?!?!?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

That's why they always refer to Catalans as "polacos" (Polish). And the most astoshing is that the COLLINS DICTIONARY defines "Polaco" as "Catalan". Can you believe it??????
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

Dixie wrote:Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

That's why they always refer to Catalans as "polacos" (Polish). And the most astoshing is that the COLLINS DICTIONARY defines "Polaco" as "Catalan". Can you believe it??????
duh?!?! can't say anything to them but... duh?!?!? :!: :!: :!:
ayie
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ayie »

Dixie wrote:Yeah, the same happens to Catalan people. Spaniards have always looked down on us just because we have our own history, language, culture and so on. Can you imagine? We've been a part of Spain for 290 years now and they still cannot understand the fact that we don't have Spanish as a natural language, bull-fighting as a part of our culture (poor animals), Cervantes as our most representative writer, and so on.

Yeah! I can definitely relate to that stereotype... Foolish people don't know about individuality sometimes... and equality for all races... but... well... we know what we are worth and i know that each one in this forum is SPECIAL... :mrgreen:
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

you got it right ayie...but why do they need to do that...it may hurt us in a way or another it may affect as in a way as well...like me, i'm planning to go to europe or to the US but they might look down on me..all i must show them are the skills and talents i possess...(well, if i do have those) :lol:
dalagang pilipina - a cool chick that is
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

well, you could/ should also show them your killer looks pinas!!! hehehe..... besides, your very brainy.... :ro :roll: :roll: ll:
ayie
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ayie »

Yup! I actually have an Engineer friend who went to UK (not ukay-ukay ha...) to work. He had the skills... believe me... he's been with big comapnies here in the Philippines. But he got rejected for every single position that he applied for right after he was asked about his nationality.
He came back to get married but i don't know where he is now...
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

ayie wrote:Yup! I actually have an Engineer friend who went to UK (not ukay-ukay ha...) to work. He had the skills... believe me... he's been with big comapnies here in the Philippines. But he got rejected for every single position that he applied for right after he was asked about his nationality.
eww what a descrimination.....
English is my second language
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

now i'm scared..hehe
change plans....
i'm going to china or catalunya... :lol: :lol:
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

Lilian wrote:
ayie wrote:Yup! I actually have an Engineer friend who went to UK (not ukay-ukay ha...) to work. He had the skills... believe me... he's been with big comapnies here in the Philippines. But he got rejected for every single position that he applied for right after he was asked about his nationality.
yah.. so sad... but we can't do anything about it... '~' happens.... as always... and all the way.... :roll: :wink:
charlotte
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by charlotte »

yeah, may be people should focus more on what a person can do and not by the way they look or not by the place where they came from. lucky for my uncle who went to australia. he married a filipina there and he was able to grab a good paying job. he is working in a advertising firm now.

with regards to europe. europeans don't discriminate brown people. my aunt told me that they like asians too. my aunts are nurses there for 28 years already and they were able to marry french men. and take note, they've been with their husband's for 25 years now.

but until now, i keep on wondering why is it that it is so hard for other nationalities to go to the UNited States. even if they are just applying for a tourist visa, their application are still being declined.
F r E n Z Y F r I e N d
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

yeah...my aunt too...she's so lucky to be teaching in a private school in ny...she is even the favorite of her american boss.
regarding europe...uk is in europe right...there is discrimination there ans even in germany!!!
charlotte
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by charlotte »

UK? gee, i wasn't aware about that. but in germany, my mom have a cousin(writer) there who is working in a newspaper company. but i am not aware as to how he got the chance of working abroad. haven't heard of him that much...guess he's already dead(just joking) :lol:
F r E n Z Y F r I e N d
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

charlottttttttttttttte!!!bad bad girl.
ayie
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ayie »

Lilian wrote:
You bet! :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

pinas wrote:now i'm scared..hehe
change plans....
Yeah, come around and I'll show you Barcelona :D
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

Dixie wrote:
change plans....
hey.. me too.... but got no money.... :( :? :cry: :(
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

Dixie wrote:
change plans....
yahoo!!!
i'll be staying at dixie's place..
home with mommy at last...
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

pinas wrote:
Dixie wrote:
change plans....
yahoo!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

me too...... i wanna go with you.... i also want to be with mommy...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
please... let me come with you...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
pinas
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pinas »

francine wrote:
pinas wrote:
Dixie wrote: Yeah, come around and I'll show you Barcelona :D
yahoo!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

me too...... i wanna go with you.... i also want to be with mommy...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
please... let me come with you...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
but no money, no honey..
so how's that???
hehe..
of course you can..mommy's gonna shoulder everyhting anyway..
so whoelse wants to go with us?
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

pinas wrote:but no money, no honey..
so how's that???
hehe..
of course you can..mommy's gonna shoulder everyhting anyway..
so whoelse wants to go with us?
you sure..... so i can be with my mommy.... yipeeeeee!!!!!