EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Importance of Communication

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Importance of Communication

Postby jerrylo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 am

Today, I encounter something unplesant while I am doing the report. Because it requires teamwork, everyone is supposed to contribute and benefit each other. However, someone once said ungraceful and would like to have a fighting with the other members. I was unhappy to see this and it hurt the precious feelings and friendship. Can't we talk and communicate people ? Why :(
jerrylo

Postby vince90 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Hi jerrylo

Communication is one the difficult thing that human has to deal with. People have different ideas and do different ways. Therefore sometime they do agree and sometime they don’t. This is how the society making up. However any problem could be solve in somehow. Yes, you always can seat down and talk over again with your friends. Belive me you will find the solution. Don’t give up! Remember there is a light always at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck!

Vince
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby Dixie » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:38 pm

Most problems nowadays come from a lack of communication. Looks like we're too lazy to sit down and have a little talk. We prefer to argue when we should be talking things over.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby shokin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Yes, communication is necessary.

Talking is what I name the "real exchange". I mean : if you want to know one entity*, you have to exchange with this entity, to give AND receive informations. Exchanging with this entity is keeping contact with this entity, and it is necessary to know this entity. When you lose contact with this entity, you lose knowing this entity. When you are in contact back again with this entity you are surprised about it has changed (you didn't follow its changing).

*entity can be a person, an animal, a (social) group, an activity, a culture, a language, etc.

According to me, communication problems comes, among others things, from progress in communication technology. Some people use more and more phone, chat, forums (like us), mails, etc. but neglect talking (real exchange).

Another factor can be the indidualism (then the neglect of respect).

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Re: Importance of Communication

Postby amoolah » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:17 am

Yes, communication between people has become the most difficult skill to perform nowadays and the question is
jerrylo wrote: Can't we talk and communicate people ? :

Yes, we can as long as we can achieve the following points:

Top Ten Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills
by Dorene Lehavi

1) Listen without judgment. The key to good communication is listening well. Save your judging for later after you have heard and understood what was said.

2) Listen with the willingness to be swayed to the other person's opinion. No obligation to actually being swayed, but stay open to the option.

3) Listen without thinking about what you will say next. Take time before you respond.

4) Do not be invested in being right. Being right is not the point. If you must be right, you are not able to listen nor communicate because you have set up a barrier already. If you are always right that means the other person is always wrong. That cannot be true.

5) If your mind wanders, ask for repetition. We all are subject to distraction. Try to stay focused.

6) In all cases repeat back what you heard and ask if it is correct.

7) Listen to yourself. Find quiet moments and pay attention to what you are hearing from yourself. Does your body tighten up about certain issues. Body language is not something to read only in other people.

8) Say it honestly, but with consideration for the listener's feelings. Be polite, respectful and sincere.

9) Understand and acknowledge that most things are not black or white, but somewhere in a gray area. Get comfortable with gray.

10) Have integrity and build trust. Don't say what you don't mean. Don't promise what you won't or can't fulfill. Follow through with any committments you make.

Good listening skills take practice. Specific coaching may be necessary if you find you have communication issues with your boss, colleagues, subordinates, partners or personal relationships.
amoolah
Gold Member

Postby shokin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:09 pm

Oh ! yes, what a good list ! I will copy it ! thanks !

let you all read this ! well explained !

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Thanks Very Much

Postby jerrylo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:28 am

Dear Members:
At first, thanks for the responses here. Then thanks for the good writing and advice that you provide here. You are very nice. I keep the advice in mind and make things better. Have a good day.
jerrylo

Postby yl88 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:20 am

well..i have a really good lesson from u guys..

thanks..

:D
yl88
Gold Member

Postby shokin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:47 pm

We are the best ones ! :mrgreen:

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Sigma » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:59 pm

I mean : if you want to know one entity*, you have to exchange with this entity, to give AND receive informations. Exchanging with this entity is keeping contact with this entity, and it is necessary to know this entity. When you lose contact with this entity, you lose knowing this entity. When you are in contact back again with this entity you are surprised about it has changed (you didn't follow its changing).

*entity can be a person, an animal, a (social) group, an activity, a culture, a language, etc.

It's like a tongue twister,shokin!!Like Secretary of American----Colin Powell said several know and don't know on a press conference!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
Love my life! Love my friends! Love the world!
Sigma
Gold Member

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions