MEXICANA EQUINOX AND KUKULCAN

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

MEXICANA EQUINOX AND KUKULCAN

Post by Elba »

At Mexico we havea very important vestivity, wich come from ancient cultures. Is the Spring Equinox at Chichén-Itzá, Yucatán, in the shouth of the country.

Thousands of people from around the world gather at this Mayan ruin on the Yucatán peninsula to witness the afternoon shadow of the snake-god Kukulcán slowly "crawl down" the country's largest Mayan pyramid, Kulkulcan (aka El Castillo).

You can belive it, but when the sun go down, the light and the shadow of the piramid form the image of a snake go down to the piramid in a zig zag movement.

This is the snake

Kukulcan, (or Quetzalcoatl God, the plumed serpent), was the symbol of a sun-Pleiades-zenith conjunction. Exactly 60 days after the Spring Equinox, on May 20, the zenith passage of the sun takes place over Chichen Itza. The Crotalus rattlesnake, whose pattern is constantly used in Mesoamerican art, has a marking on it which is identical to the Solar ‘Ahau’ glyph of the Maya, and its rattle was called ‘tzab’, which is the same word used for the Pleiades star cluster.

The moving snake on the Pyramid is an annual reminder of a conjunction of the zenith sun with the Pleiades over Chichen Itza, but this is an event which will only occur during a 72-year time window, from 1976 to 2048. Right at the centre of this time window is the year 2012, when the Great Cycle ends. On May 20 2012, the zenith passage combines with a solar eclipse, on the Tzolkin day 10 Chichan, which means serpent. The winter solstice end-point will be 4 Ahau in the Tzolkin calendar, meaning Lord/Sun, and 3 Kankin in the Haab calendar, which means ‘snake-day’.

Well friends this only one of the misteries of ancient cultures of my country, and I must to tell you something.
I´m proud of that.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Elba thank you so much for the post, in fact I knew just a little part about the story but not everything, where did you get the information?

I'm also proud of my country and "Viva Mexico".

Sorry I know only English is allowed here, but I had to say that phrase, you know what I mean? don't you?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
amoolah
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by amoolah »

hi Elba....thanks soooooooo much for this interesting post :) I wish to have a visit to that place once in my live ;) in fact i like to visit such wonderful old places
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Idalia,

At internet youo could fine the information you need about that and another prehispanic cultures, in English and Spanish too.

Amoolah. If you want to come some day only contact me. I´d like to be your tourist guide.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Hey I need a guide too! would you invite me??????? :?:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Hey, I could drive to Mexico this weekend! Can someone be my guide???

Nice pics and info, Elba. I guess you are slowly coming out of the monkey phase and back into human phase.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Of course Jimmy,

But tell me when are you planning to come to Mexico.
I´m going have march 27, 28, and 29 off. Canada is near from Mexico, give the number of the flight, and I pick you up at the Airport in México City.
Idalia could go with us.

Ahhhhhhh!

Don´t forget to carry up a bananna for me ;)
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

What did the snake mean for them ?

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Thank you Elba!!!!!!!

Hmm...27th, 28th, and 29th, huh? Sure, I'll make those my off days as well!!!!!!!!

You're right, I would save a lot of time by flying since it takes, what, 3 days to drive, give or take a few hours?

I'll make sure to bring you a bunch of bananas!! In fact, I'll bring a whole suitcase full of them, just for you!
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

And for me???? Just elba deserves something???? :cry:

Well, it's OK. If it's true that you're coming I think that's enough.

Now seriously, when you have a chance come to our country it is WONDERFUL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shokin the snake represents a god called Quetzalcoalt
( feathered snake, if I'm right that would be the traslation in english)
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Idalia, you must understand, I know people who have been to your country and they told me a whole bunch of horror stories which, in turn, makes me hesitant to go.

I will try because I think I am becoming a bit more adventurous as I will soon reach the age of 60. Better now than never, right?

If Elba deserves a suitcase, I guess you can have a suitcase too. So what do you want? Wait, If two of my suitcases are for you two, then what does that leave me? My carry-on?
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Shokin,
As Idalia said, Quetzalcoatl -the snake- was the God of the ancient civilization at Mexico.
The short history: Quetzalcoatl was as a king among mexicana indians, but he have to go and offer to the people return. He made some predictions too, one of that was that white men with blond hair will come to the land and then he will return. When Spanish conquer America indians belive that they were gods and Hernan Cortez was Quetzalcoatl.

Large History: Reviewe the link : http://weber.ucsd.edu/~anthclub/quetzal ... uetzal.htm
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Thank you for answering. I will read more about Quetzalcoat. And I have ever heard this word. But where ? in a comics, sure. :mrgreen:

I follow your link.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Jimmy,
I don´t know what these people told you, but you have to know that mexico has the same degree of insequrity that another big cities arround the world, as beautifull places al calgary, as beautyfull women as any part of the world, as friendly people as at ECclub.
All what the USA gobernment and English gobernment have toldo abauto of México is only bad politici. There were some bad incidents that afected foreing people, but I´m sure in another countries there is the same possibility for that facts. The only difference is that the other countries aren´t next to USA.

Well Jimmy, let me show you that what the people say is wrong, Only come to México... ;)
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Don't worry, Elba, American propaganda does not reach me and even if it did, I would not pay attention to it. I understand that every country has its pros and cons and I would not discriminate Mexico because of things I hear on the news.

However, my information came from a good friend who has been to Mexico and I don't see a reason for him to lie to me. Of course, that does not severely affect my decision on whether I will visit Mexico in the near future. Nothing will. We will eat bananas together, I guarantee it!
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Unknownsu I agree with Elba, Mexico is a wonderful place for visiting and you know what? when foreigners are here people are so friendly with them.

I feel so upset when I hear someone who doesn't know my country says so bad things about it. :evil:

If I were you I would give it a try and I am almost sure that when you visit mexico for the first time, you'll love it. ;)

Of course, I'm not saying your friend is telling you lies, I don't know if he/she had any bad experiences here, but what I can tell you is that thousands of tourists come here every year and have a TERRIFIC TIME :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you know any springbreaker you should ask them. :?:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Idalia, have you thought about becoming a travel agent? :D
idalia wrote: If I were you I would give it a try and I am almost sure that when you visit mexico for the first time, you'll love it.
Yes, I wouldn't doubt it. I love interacting with new cultures. I love experiencing new things. Well, I just love traveling in general.

When I was in the states, I heard many negative comments regarding Mexicans but believe me when I say I paid no heed to them. You cannot judge an entire race from words coming out of another's mouth, right?
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Here, spring breakers give their opinion