EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Old population increasing, great problem !

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Old population increasing, great problem !

Postby shokin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:55 pm

Good morning, everybody !

you are not without knowing that in some (most ?) country the population is becoming older and that the demographic pyramid is no more a pyramid.

life level has become better !
life and habits have become more individualist ! :evil: (we first speak about a person, not yet about the group)
more and more people take a bad health (drinking, smoking, bad eating...)

what do we have to do ?
to leave the old people ?
to make more babies ?
to think less about our health (to stop wanting to "maximise or optimize") and think more about health of the group ?
to think more about the future/next generations ?
to stop professions that incitate to consumption ?

the demographic situation of nowadays is not a problem ? there are other priorities ! the nature !

And what do you think about ?

Maybe the problem in China for example is different ! ;)

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby RedRose » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:02 am

I don't wanna live very old. because an old woman can't often be chased by guys. that is terrible!
RedRose

Postby idalia » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:15 am

RedRose wrote:I don't wanna live very old. because an old woman can't often be chased by guys. that is terrible!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
idalia
Platinum Member

Postby shokin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:19 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

good reasonning !

it would be a solution against surplus of old population ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby orange » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:22 am

I aslo think the increasing of old population is big problem to industrialization and modernize of country. But i cannot give you my solution b/c I scare that my posterity will apply this good way to me in the far future :cry: :cry:
So let leave this matter for goverment solve :( :(
orange
Silver Member

Postby frengo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:07 am

Remember that this is a problem just for rich countries!
There, people is supported by high-level medical structures and have access to the latest pharmacological products, so they can get older than in other countries. This happens in spite of the bad habits thay have with food (too much and unbalanced) and lifestile (too static). For instance, take a look to life-insurance fees: they are growing due to the longer expected life of people. This phenomeneon is independent from the number of babies we give birth to (while making less children can emphasize the unbalanced proportion between young and old people, of course).
In Africa they have just the opposite problem: their lives are short due to the severe medical situation, leaving babies abandoned in huge quantities and making them the bigger problem in Africa today.
frengo
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006
Mr EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby RedRose » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:38 am

frengo's analysis always makes sense that much.

thumb up to Mr.frengo :!:
RedRose

Postby manrat » Sun May 22, 2005 8:55 pm

Germany, among other countries, has this problem. They say that by 2050, more than one in three Germans will be over 60 years old.
manrat
Gold Member

Postby Shazzam » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:06 am

frengo wrote:Remember that this is a problem just for rich countries!
There, people is supported by high-level medical structures and have access to the latest pharmacological products, so they can get older than in other countries. This happens in spite of the bad habits thay have with food (too much and unbalanced) and lifestile (too static). For instance, take a look to life-insurance fees: they are growing due to the longer expected life of people. This phenomeneon is independent from the number of babies we give birth to (while making less children can emphasize the unbalanced proportion between young and old people, of course).
In Africa they have just the opposite problem: their lives are short due to the severe medical situation, leaving babies abandoned in huge quantities and making them the bigger problem in Africa today.

Couldn't have said it better myself Frengo! Exactly.

In Australia our aged population is huge! Our economic system is able to support this aging population. However, it does cause problems with our hospital system. Medical services in Australia are becoming very expensive as most elderly people in Australia (about 90 per cent; I would average) are on pensions and get all their medical treatments for free. Someone has to pick up the tab for this. Young people with families don't have this benefit; we need to be in private health funds as well as pay a Medicare levy to the Government to support the public hospital system.

Hospital waiting lists are becoming lengthy, which is very dangerous.

My solution to this is that everyone should have to contribute to the Medicate levy whether they are on a pension or not. For example the levy is based on approximately 2 percent of your annual earnings; why can't they contribute this from their pension (the pension is being paid by the government anyway; so they could easily deduct this from their payment).
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Return to Ideas and Opinions