EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

We are all basically selfish.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:37 pm

selfish (adjective) = thinking mainly about one’s own personal pleasure or profit without thinking about other people

Do you agree with this statement? Do you think that most people think only about themselves? Or do we all care about other people as much as or more than ourselves?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby The Good balance » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:40 am

Of course we are Selfish.

But in the same time we are full with Love,Self-Sacrifice.

And i imagine our life is like performance on the steel-rope

Looking for Balance.

We know people accumulate all their life money,titles,property

But are Unhappy !

And other thoughtlessly giving all they have !

The Balance is difficult,i know !!!
The Good balance

Postby selfish » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:27 am

"We are all basically selfish" is a truth, it's been believed by our human. But many people don't like being describled as selfishness by others.
There are two conditions:
One is that I am really selfish, I have never thought about anythings for others only for myself. And I am angry when I heard I was selfish and blamed by someone living around me. Because I think it is my right to care or not, why I need do it for you?
This kind of man will not be respected and accept by other people.

The other one is I think and do many things for you. But it's regarded as harmness, even to be said selfishness. In this condition, I will be unhappy or sad. The opinion to help others will be moved or disappeared.
So we should understand each other and take care more of others.
If we are all think so, we are not regarded as selfish man. :D :lol:
selfish

holidays are a waste of time

Postby nina_zah » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:53 am

I do not think that holidays are a waste of time.In the summer holiday ,I stay at school preparing for my graduate exammination.I work hard and have obtained a lot,so I think I have a happy and a useful holiday .
nina_zah

yes

Postby Cassy » Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:17 am

8) That's true. even when we do smth good for others we expect them to smth good for us. we do not say so but in our inner world we believe in it. there is no person in the world not being selfish!
Cassy

we are all selfish

Postby blackcucumber2003 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:12 am

likely any species of animal, man is basically selfish (It is nature). We always want to have what is best for and only do our mind on ourselves problems. People have cut down trees, hunted other animals... for their advantages.
And each person has his (or her) selfishness. I live for myself, my family and my country. All things we have done are for the sake of our lives.
But selfishness does not mean not to care anything, which is not good to you (but to the others). In a limit, you should aware what to do (which bring genaral advantage) or not. If so you will not be called "selfish man".
blackcucumber2003

I'm not selfish

Postby leo » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:13 pm

I'm not selfish, but some times s yes :lol: [/url][/list]
Last edited by leo on Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leo

We are all basically selfish

Postby jackie » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:37 am

We are all basically selfish :oops: of crs, nobody can refuse what the nature has given us but please be always noticed that: We were born not to live for ourselves :(
jackie

Postby Yesania96 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:59 am

I think it depends on the situation and the mood.. :twisted:
Yesania96

is everybody selfish

Postby micle222 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:09 pm

everyone say i am the most unselfish man in the world,they say i just contribute,but no gain.actually what they say is not right,in my heart i have left out some field for selfish,when i do much for others,i also want to be repayed,if i give them too much,but they give me nothing,so there is the unbalance, so i think it is formal that all the people is selfish
micle222

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion