EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:58 pm

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

certainly no

Postby member » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:54 pm

:) Hi there,
You're not right, exams are so good for us, not waste of time. You know, if there no have exam that means you never know what skill you are in. Do you agree with me? Sometime it's useless because there no fare in exam course,right ? But not always. Let's think about what I said. Have a nice day, bye.
Tram

Postby rainbow » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:38 am

We really need exams to check what we get after studying. Sometimes the exam results are motive for us to study harder...I mean we'll have to compete with our classmate ohh it's ashamed to get bad marks while the others get good ones. But sometimes exams put press on us.It's terrible :cry:
rainbow

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:01 am

:( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?

re

Postby koven » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:30 pm

Anonymous wrote::( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?
We all hope so..u know...But there is an important fact:The indulgence of human naature.We can't deny that.There r too few spontaneous learner,as i know.There is not a student liking it,but irony there is few ones who will learn things by themself without the pushing of exam.I used to hate that to hell,when i am a little boy.But now i am a freshman,i have a different perspective on this(positively i think).I can't
imagine that if there were no exams.U must think i am crazy or a kind of
sicko,but who dare to stand up and say:oh! If there were no exams,i am much better now.When we were kids,few of us can sit on a chair with our 2 eyes wide open happily reading a book.But when we grow up,little by little do we realize the importance of learning.So i don't think exams itself is a bad thing,of course it's by no means a sweet chocolate.Now recall each period of ur learning course and take out those exams,how it will turn out to be now?
koven

Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby hugoromo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:30 am

Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.

HugoR
Chile
hugoromo

Are exams a Waste of Time?

Postby Mystical Enlightenment » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:30 am

Well, certainly not! They are not a waste of time, in fact, we profit from the time we spent to study. Exams promotes self-esteem, too. Like if you got 2nd position in class and you feel like beating the top, you can study study study til you beat the top. It gives you self confidence, too. :)
Mystical Enlightenment

exams

Postby costadina » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:35 pm

iI believe that whether exams are a waste of time of not depends on how you use them. If you use them to measure a students ability and to find their weak spots in order to help them improve, then they are useful. If you use them as the only way of measuring their competency, then I don't think they are the best way to measure competency. Most students preform badly in exams due to stress. :( ][/i]
costadina

exams

Postby esfahanian56 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:44 am

exams can improve our english when we really dont know if we are ok or not. as a matter of fact some times we dont understand our mistakes. this is when exam can help us to know.
esfahanian56

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby jackie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:00 am

hugoromo wrote:Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.

HugoR
Chile

:D Bravo, I couldn't agree more.

In fact, exams is the best ways to review my knowledge. Just imagine, if we have no exams, we'll not how much we 've gained stuff and even we have no motivation to go ahead ( it sometimes makes us nervous and even causes under stress) :wink:

And one more important things that we have many chances to show our ideas in clear and have s.o else to correct our mistakes. :D
jackie

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion