EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:54 pm

Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby birrel » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I wonder which pronunciation we have to study. There are too many forms of pronunciation - Australian, American, the RP pronunciation, etc.. -and I don't know what to choose. So I think that some times to stusy pronunciation is a waste of time.

Cheers
birrel

Postby member » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:48 pm

I am agree. I am working with english speakers and is very dificult to get what people are saying.

Pronunciation waste time.

Postby Mariam Nakhla » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:46 am

Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:
Mariam Nakhla

pronunciation

Postby rjcglass » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:53 am

Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.
rjcglass

Re: pronunciation

Postby member » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:48 pm

rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.
Are you confusing intonation with pronunciation? The music is probably more important than the lyrics so let´s get some good harmony first and then fit in the words. Sts. need to learn the patterns through hand clapping and feet stamping, knuckle banging etc. :lol:

Postby birrell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:55 am

rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.

Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
birrell

i think it is

Postby inna » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:54 am

i think studyng the correct pronunciation of any lanaguage is badly needed specially the english language.
i am teaching english in thailand for more that 2 yrs now and i realize how important correct grammar and pronunciation is.... so in short it is not a waste of time.. ITS WORTH DOING GUYS.. so come on join me learn correct pronunciation with fun

what it not worth studying is tha accent ex. american.. british aussie.. as long as we understand each other..

cheers..
inna

Postby vivina » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:56 pm

birrell wrote:

Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?

I'm agree with you i keep working in my pronuciation....
vivina

Re: i think it is

Postby vivina » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:59 pm

inna wrote:

i think studyng the correct pronunciation of any lanaguage is badly needed specially the english language.
i am teaching english in thailand for more that 2 yrs now and i realize how important correct grammar and pronunciation is.... so in short it is not a waste of time.. ITS WORTH DOING GUYS.. so come on join me learn correct pronunciation with fun

what it not worth studying is tha accent ex. american.. british aussie.. as long as we understand each other..

cheers..

I got your message i m interesting to improve my english
vivina

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion