EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

You need grammar

Postby Lynne » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:03 pm

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but you cannot speak, write or fully understand English without a good grasp of grammar.

I always tell my students that if you think of vocabulary as the bricks of a language, grammar is the mortar that holds it all together and helps you build structures that won't fall down around your ears.

Some grammatical mistakes are not a problem but others can be disastrous.

Consider the difference between:-

"I forgot feeding the dog."

and

"I forgot to feed the dog."

One of these sentences is disastrous for the dog. But which one?

Learn English
Lynne

english grammar

Postby micle222 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:25 pm

i donot think it is very useful of the english grammar,i have learned english about six years,during this years i spent all the time on it,and also got high score,but i cannot communicate with others,because when we chat with others we should not very slowly think about the grammar,and i think the best way is just readingand reading[/b]
micle222

Re: Grammar is necessary

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:56 pm

You have right.I would like to speak together more .Can you give me your e-mail?
I would like to know more about your country and your religion.
Magda
Romania

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:25 pm

No wonder... Birds of a feather flock together.
Grammar IS necessary - take it or leave it.
Otherwise, I mean what I say would equal I say what I mean.
Seems you mean to say you don't mean to say much. In this case just a smile will tell everything. No need to beat about the bush... er... Wouldn't it be a stupid smile?.. :?

Grammer is a waste of time

Postby Olga » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:02 am

OK. Every language consists of three elements: grammer, lexic and sounds. And you should not neglect any of these element, otherwise you will be understood incorrectly. Of course, you can help yourself with mimicry and gestures, but there are different situation, for example, when you ringing somebody up. That`s why I strongy recommend you to study English grammer properly. And you will be always equal to the occasion.
Olga

hi

Postby maha » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:26 am

well hi every one .
Ithink that grammar is important to learn the language , but only if we concedered the age of our pupils .
but as a teacher I think that the less we give ciriculam the more they can understand the language . Beside we can give more activiteis and explinations for them .
oh, one more thing i discovered that my pupils like to learn through plying .
maha

hi againe

Postby maha » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:29 am

hi againe everyone
I guset wont to say that Im looking for friends
If you wont you can visie my in my e-mail :
mazoon@bareed.com
maha

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:04 pm

Likewise it is cheerfully. Thinking logically to feel confidenly about reading English

Postby Babelia » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I have read most of your opinions and I find them fairly interesting as they show the different ways to approach the learning of a foreing language.

I think that there is no one single or correct answer to that question. All depends we need the language for: children just need some words to supply their immediate necessities, no matter about countability. On the other hand, unlucky you if you don't know the difference between verb tenses in your FCE!

Kind regards,
Babelia.
Babelia

We should discuss more specially about English grammar !

Postby luckiestman » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:28 am

Hi,I'm a new member of our Forum.I'm having many problems with English,because I very like this topic.I think that Grammar is a bored subject but so necessary in English,because without it,we cannot communicate properly with others,we can't speek,we can't read and we can't understand others .I feel that it is very difficult to learn English grammar,although I tried to study it.I'm looking some friend who has the same objective and problems in English.I hope will receive your replies,you can send mail for me at:
hungcuong822002@yahoo.com
luckiestman

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion